Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Apple News Buggy

I rely on Apple News to keep up to date with the news these days, but lately I’ve been having issues. The menu keeps refreshing without me touching the screen, and either kicks me out of an article halfway through or jumps to another article (usually the one that preceded it on the menu). It’s driving me nuts.

U.K. based. Currently running iOS 17.0.2 on a 14 Pro Max. The menu problem predates the update to 17, but the inability to read an article to the end is new. Have recent updates somehow increased screen sensitivity? I have a heavy duty aluminium case with protective screen lens.

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 30, 2023 10:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2023 9:39 PM

I’m having the issue as well and as a software engineer I can tell you it has nothing to do with screen sensitivity because it doesn’t happen if I purposely attempt to reload the screen in an article so that is not how your app even works. It is some kind of bug in your app that in the past few days has refreshed the screen randomly for no reason when I’m in the middle of reading an article and more often than not redirects to an entirely different article rather than the Home Screen (not that would make it any better.) I have the latest version of iOS, restarted, and reinstalled the app. If Apple doesn’t want to take responsibility for their app malfunctioning I will simply delete and replace it with a news app that doesn’t randomly redirect me to another article.

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2023 9:39 PM in response to OrigamiFan1

I’m having the issue as well and as a software engineer I can tell you it has nothing to do with screen sensitivity because it doesn’t happen if I purposely attempt to reload the screen in an article so that is not how your app even works. It is some kind of bug in your app that in the past few days has refreshed the screen randomly for no reason when I’m in the middle of reading an article and more often than not redirects to an entirely different article rather than the Home Screen (not that would make it any better.) I have the latest version of iOS, restarted, and reinstalled the app. If Apple doesn’t want to take responsibility for their app malfunctioning I will simply delete and replace it with a news app that doesn’t randomly redirect me to another article.

Oct 2, 2023 1:51 PM in response to bjblackpool

Hi bjblackpool,

For help with the screen issue while using the News app, test the steps below found in the article here: If your screen isn't working - Apple Support

"If your screen is too sensitive or responds intermittently to touch

1. Restart your iPhone or iPad.
  2. Make sure that your screen is clean and free of any debris or water.
  3. Disconnect any Lightning or USB-C accessories. If your screen works after removing an accessory, try using a different outlet, cable, or charger.
  4. Remove any cases or screen protectors."

If the issue continues with the screen protector or case removed, clean the screen with the help of the information here: Cleaning your iPhone - Apple Support

Contact Apple directly if the issue remains. Get Support

Best.

Apple News Buggy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.