Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

"Unable to Play" Error when I try to watch few movies/series on Apple TV

When I try to watch or stream "The morning show" on apple TV it continuously states "Unable to play, There's a problem playing this video. Try again or troubleshoot the issue." Choices I have to click on are: 'Try again' or 'Start Troubleshooting'. Neither one of them gets it going. When I click Troubleshooting it states "unable to connect, There's a problem connecting for playback. Try again later". That's it. So I checked my netflix, my Disney+, my prime video, etc., everything else works. It is just on my Apple TV app on the tv. All other apps work fine, including all computers and other services going thru the router. So I know the router is connecting to the TV. It is something to do with the apple TV app, or programming on the apple app. Anyone else having these issues? Any fixes??

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Dec 5, 2023 7:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2023 6:27 PM

Exact same issue as OP except trying to play any Apple TV+ content fails (trying to continue to watch Slow Horses but all shows now fail). The service used to work just fine but now fails (no changes on my end). Previews play then it chokes with "Try Again" and "Start Troubleshooting" - neither of which do anything.

Subscriber since March, it used to work fine but not the past 2 weeks.

amazon, netflix, youtubeTV, Max, Paramount+, Disney, Peacock, Hulu - all work. Apple TV+ = terrible service. Contacted "customer support" but no response.

LG smart TV via Roku Ultra connected via Ethernet.

Apple TV+ works on the amazon fireTV via Ethernet but I'm not going to the basement just to watch Apple TV+. Will be requesting refund and unsubscribing most likely.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2023 6:27 PM in response to katfromkeller

Exact same issue as OP except trying to play any Apple TV+ content fails (trying to continue to watch Slow Horses but all shows now fail). The service used to work just fine but now fails (no changes on my end). Previews play then it chokes with "Try Again" and "Start Troubleshooting" - neither of which do anything.

Subscriber since March, it used to work fine but not the past 2 weeks.

amazon, netflix, youtubeTV, Max, Paramount+, Disney, Peacock, Hulu - all work. Apple TV+ = terrible service. Contacted "customer support" but no response.

LG smart TV via Roku Ultra connected via Ethernet.

Apple TV+ works on the amazon fireTV via Ethernet but I'm not going to the basement just to watch Apple TV+. Will be requesting refund and unsubscribing most likely.

Feb 22, 2024 4:51 AM in response to clubcourage

LG smart TV via Roku Ultra

For Roku:

Another user (mygreensocks) suggested this procedure from Roku Support staff, which reportedly helped several users.

1. Remove the Apple TV app,
  2. Shut off and unplug the TV (or streaming device),
  3. Wait 30 seconds,
  4. Plug the TV (or streaming device) back in,
  5. Reload the Apple TV app.

Else try the Network Connection Reset, as mentioned by user Jarieta.

1. Roku: Home﹥Settings﹥System﹥Advanced System Settings﹥Network Connection Reset

If the issue persists after that, then please contact the Apple Support staff for further assistance.

Mar 27, 2024 3:24 PM in response to Urquhart1244

I tried the network connection reset on my Roku, and as soon as I did that I can access any show or movie. And I’m glad I looked at the discussions, or I would still be frustrated and irritated that this keeps happening, literally it’s been going on for a few weeks, it’s like what’s the point of having it if I can’t watch it on my main TV? I really didn’t want to sit all day and watch it on my phone….

Dec 6, 2023 5:25 PM in response to katfromkeller

This is not a TV issue, I have a Samsung and am experiencing exactly what you describe. I’m also trying to view The Morning Show and it goes as far as showing the scenes from last episode and then when it tries to launch the actual episode the “Unable to play” error comes up. I tried a different show and same thing, the preview plays just fine but not the actual episodes. Very frustrating that someone at Apple has coded for this error message, yet there’s no explanation for it given on the app or anywhere in online support.

Apr 27, 2024 7:26 PM in response to katfromkeller

I have the same unable to play message, have performed the remove apple app, restart Roku, reinstall apple app fix and it works, but then a day or so later same error message happens!?! So I do the whole fix again and the next time I try to watch Ted Lasso, and get the same error message. What's happening with Apple TV? I don’t have this problem with Netflix, Prime, Acorn, BritBox, PBS… just Apple TV. It's enough to make me want to cancel my subscription.

Any ideas to fix this? Thanks for any help

"Unable to Play" Error when I try to watch few movies/series on Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.