Apple photos rotation issues with 10bit heif

Apple Photos can handle heic/heif files for images. My Fuji X-T5 produces 10bit heic files, which can be imported into photos and viewed. However, pictures taken in portrait mode are not rotated in the grid view. Opening them in detail view shows them in correct rotation after a couple of seconds. Also rotating them with cmd+r takes up to 20 seconds.

Anybody else has similar issues? Or a possible solution?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.1

Posted on Dec 22, 2023 4:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2024 11:51 AM

Unfortunately, the rotation change does not persist. You will find that after a while, the orientation is wrong again. The bug is very persistent. I can't think of a workaround, so please report this to Apple to make them aware of the severity.

Similar questions

11 replies

Apr 29, 2024 10:38 PM in response to dan_pang

Sony A7C II user here. I recently purchased my camera and encountered the same frustrating problem. The solution that I found is to change the extension from HIF/HEIF to HEIC prior to importing the images into your Photos library, and then the problem does not occur. The extension change does not require any special tool; it's just a "renaming" in Finder. To speed things up, I use a basic shell script to rename files in a folder and replace HIF/HEIF with HEIC.

Jan 5, 2024 7:03 AM in response to dan_pang

I noticed the same thing when importing HEIF files from a Sony a6700. When viewing an individual photo, the orientation is correct, but in the grid view all portrait images are rotated clockwise.

Portrait photos are shown with a portrait (standing) frame. But the actual preview is rotated, giving the photo a weird crop.

The only workaround I found is to manually select all portrait photos and press +R 4 times. I sure hope this will be fixed soon!

Apple photos rotation issues with 10bit heif

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.