App store requires Apple ID password despite having all the corresponding settings adjusted.

my iPhone 15 pro max iOS 17.2.1 App Store always asks for Apple ID password entry for free apps instead of the double click to install

Media & Purchases > Password settings > Free downloads require password is DISABLED

iTunes & App Store is ENABLED in Face ID and Password settings

The App Store Apple ID is the same as my entire phone

i have tried restarting the phone and signing out and in to Apple ID for the App Store again

iPhone 15 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Dec 25, 2023 3:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2023 11:06 PM

I have found a solution!

Go into Settings > Face ID & Passcode > (enter passcode) > Toggle off and on again iTunes and App Store > (it will prompt you to sign in with your Apple ID password again)

Now go to your App Store and try it out 🙂

23 replies

Jan 5, 2024 2:43 PM in response to real_Léonard

UPDATE: this fixed it for me, Step #3 was the differentiator for me.

1. Make sure you are updated to 17.2 or later.
  2. Go to Settings >> FaceID + Passcode >> Toggle OFF iTunes and App Store.
  3. Shut down the device. Wait a few seconds. Restart the device.
  4. Once restarted, Toggle ON iTunes and App Store... it will ask you to enter your password.
  5. Now, test that it works by downloading an app from the App Store and it should work properly now (i.e. Ask you to double-click the side button).

Dec 30, 2023 7:24 AM in response to Kenny994

I just got this work!!! Here is what i done step by step:

1. I created new appleID
  2. Logout my main apple ID on appstore
  3. Log-in new appleID
  4. Download couple softwares using password then appstrore start asking faceID
  5. Logout new appleID
  6. Log-in your main ID
  7. Download couple softwares using password
  8. BOOM Appstore starts asking my Face-ID!!!

Jan 27, 2024 9:00 AM in response to real_Léonard

Just go to “Face ID & Passcode”, enter your passcode then make sure “iTunes & App Store” is toggled on. If it is already on, then just toggle it off and toggle it back on again. Then restart your app store. Doing this worked for me. Now new apps will download with face ID authorization instead of requiring a typed in password everytime.

Mar 28, 2024 8:13 AM in response to real_Léonard

The solution for me was as follows:

1- Turn off "iTunes & App Store" option in "Face ID & Passcode" in "Settings".

2- sign out of Apple ID in App Store.

3- sign out of Apple ID in Settings.

4- turn off phone and wait one min and turn it on.

5- sign in Apple ID in settings.

6- when you sign in Apple ID in settings ,phone ask you to sign in for App Store automatically.

7- when you go to Face ID & Passcode in see that "iTunes & App Store" option activated (if not active it by yourself)

8 - install a new app and see problem solved.

I hope it work for all

(Sorry for bad English)

App store requires Apple ID password despite having all the corresponding settings adjusted.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.