Apple TV 4K eARC stopped working with latest update

I have three Apple TV 4Ks set up throughout the house. All three are used in different configurations/brands (LG and Panasonic tv's and via Yamaha receiver and projector), but for years they have all worked flawlessly with their respective eARC companions. All of a sudden, none of them are working with eARC. All three require use of the Apple TV remote and the displays' remotes no longer work.

I'm just raising this as nothing in our house changed, except perhaps the latest Apple TV update?? But all three stopped working with eARC that had worked only days/weeks before without issue. The only common denominator in this instance is Apple TV.

Have others had similar experiences?

Apple TV 4K (1st generation)

Posted on Mar 24, 2024 3:14 AM

4 replies

Mar 24, 2024 9:11 AM in response to vaiable

All of a sudden, none of them are working with eARC. All three require use of the Apple TV remote and the displays' remotes no longer work.

If the TV remote doesn’t function as it used to for the Apple TV box, then that isn’t about ARC or eARC.

eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel) is about the reverse direction of the high bandwidth audio signal over HDMI. This is for the connection between the screen and the audio system. What is eARC - HDMI.org

If you have HomePod speakers, then the Apple TV 4K (2nd generation or later) can be the audio system for non-Apple TV sources (e.g. TV antenna input, or HDMI devices (cable box, media player, BR player, game console)). Use HDMI ARC or eARC with your Apple TV 4K - Apple Support. If you don’t have HomePod speakers, then Apple TV itself isn’t involved in ARC or eARC.

Perhaps you meant CEC (Consumer Electronics Control)? Although that doesn’t necessarily have to do with using alternative remotes. CEC is about having devices communicate commands with each other over HDMI, which is actually separate from the remotes to be used.

• The Apple TV box can use alternative remotes, e.g. when those function through IR (infrared). There is a setting to ‘learn’ those remotes.
  • Some TVs have to activate a function to allow their remote to also be used for connected devices.

You’ll have to verify both, to see if they are still configured as intended.

Mar 24, 2024 7:23 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Hey there. My apologies as I must have misunderstood some of the acronyms involved. In short, before the latest update, my Panasonic TV remote worked fine to control playback, menu and volume functions on my Apple TV. The same goes with my Yamaha receiver remote as well as the TV remote for another tv (can't remember the brand).

We have been controlling our Apple TV's for years with the remotes that came with the devices we have them connected to.

Nothing has changed with all three devices. The only thing that has changed is that the Apple TVs have updated and seemingly removed that function.

I have reset one of them completely to no avail. I have checked all of the Apple TV settings that I can see are related as well as confirming no configurations have changed on their respective connected devices.

Honestly, it's not a huge deal as yeah we can use the little Apple TV remote, but over the years we have just preferred using the bigger remotes with normal buttons :)

So frustrating as they ALL worked flawlessly for ages, and all three have just stopped.

I know I can get the Apple TV to "learn" those remotes, but if we try to control the TV in any other way (like just watching free-to-air tv or use another device), the learned functions still get sent to the Apple TV......this could cause a bit of havoc and even lead to unintended purchases or whatever. So that's not a viable solution.

I guess I just wanted to see if this is being experienced by others and perhaps a known issue that Apple will address in a future update.

Apple TV 4K eARC stopped working with latest update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.