Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

File system very slow; applications appear normal

When I first start up my Mac Studio and start to move files in the Finder, everything works well, but within minutes, moving, renaming and otherwise doing anything with files in Finder windows slows down. The sluggishness increases quickly to the point where I can move nothing -- no file, however small -- without a long wait. The system hangs with the "Preparing to move [filename] dialog on the screen.

Applications appear to work normally: the problem appears to be limited to manipulating files in the Finder.

The Mac Studio is running MacOS 14.4.1 (23E224). I ran a diagnostic of the HD and SSDs and all passed.

Any ideas?

Mac Studio, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 26, 2024 6:02 AM

25 replies

Apr 27, 2024 12:20 AM in response to Zardon

Are you moving files from the system disk to the HDD? What file system is on this HDD, and HDD model, and what types of files do you usually move (large ones in gigabytes or thousands of small ones)? If your external drive is exFAT, this could be a big problem. In any case, I recommend checking the SMART status of your disk, as it may be degrading (smartmontools, Disk Drill, DriveDX, etc.).

Apr 27, 2024 12:28 PM in response to Zardon

I am very surprised to see TWO processes with the same name, one from Apple, one Unsigned:

Top Processes Snapshot by Energy Use:

Process (count) Energy (0-100) (Source - Location)

CGPDFService (10) 15 (Not signed)

CGPDFService (21) 11 (Apple)

mdworker_shared (28) 6 (Not signed)

WindowServer 6 (Apple)

mds_stores 4 (Apple)

Apr 27, 2024 1:03 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet-Alder wrote:

I am very surprised to see TWO processes with the same name, one from Apple, one Unsigned:

Top Processes Snapshot by Energy Use:
    Process (count) Energy (0-100) (Source - Location)
    CGPDFService (10) 15 (Not signed)
    CGPDFService (21) 11 (Apple)
    mdworker_shared (28) 6 (Not signed)

Yes, I also saw that mdworker_shared shows up as Not Signed and it is usually signed by Apple for Spotlight indexing.

Apr 27, 2024 1:21 PM in response to Mac Jim ID

If rebuilding the Spotlight Index does not resolve the problem, go to  > System Settings > Siri & Spotlight, and uncheck PDF Documents.

It does take some time to complete the index and sometimes syncing with another source such as OneDrive will compound the problem if the files are constantly changing. If you can stop OneDrive from syncing then that may be another troubleshooting step.

Apr 27, 2024 8:22 AM in response to Zardon

Consider downloading and running this little "discovery" utility, Etrecheck. It changes NOTHING. Etrecheck was developed by senior contributor here, and uses system calls to collect often-needed information.

it contains little tests for speeds of devices, CPU utilization, memory usage, energy usage and a digest of recent problems, in one easy to use package. it does not even need to be Installed. Because less can be learned when your Mac is running great, best time to run is when your problems are actually occurring, if possible.

if you follow the directions faithfully, its report (pre-laundered of all personally-identifiable information) can be "Shared" to the system ClipBoard, then Pasted into an ‘Additional Text’ window in a reply on the forums.

How to use Etrecheck pro for free

http://etrecheck.com

Apr 27, 2024 10:59 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Okay. I used the URL someone here provided to download EtreCheck.

I ran it. It reported that many processes were hanging and/or were using excessive CPU time. It told me it would give me solutions for 17 bucks.

Contrary to my better judgment, I shelled out the money to see behind the curtain. I'm that desperate.

What was there? The suggestion that I check to see whether of any of the offending apps were out of date (none are. Most are Apple system apps.) or to contact Apple Support.

I cannot create a pdf of the report. EtreCheck freezes, then releases at the point before I tried to create the pdf. (See attached screenshot.)

The thing that gets me: Safari works fine. So do some other apps. In EtreCheck, all is well until I try to create a pdf of the report.

These problems first came to my attention yesterday when I was using Preview, as I usually do, and it became ever more slow and unwieldy. Related?

Note: when I tried to attach the screenshot using "image insertion" in the toolbar, below, Safari froze for a minute and then released back to normal. I dragged the image you see into the text field of this message.

Apr 26, 2024 8:34 AM in response to Zardon

By far the easiest way to cause poor performance, instability, overheating and crashing is to install ANY third-party speeder-uppers, Cleaners, Optimizers, or Virus scanners, or a VPN that you installed yourself. The main reason is that they are relentless in scanning your files, non-stop, looking for virus-like patterns in Everything, or looking for files that have changed. When completed, they do it all again.

¿are you running anything like that?

Apr 27, 2024 8:19 AM in response to Zardon

Update: the file management slowdown continues but has improved a bit.

Now, "Mail" and "System Settings" will open, but only after > 1 minute wait. I've given up on "Preview," which repeatedly went nuts yesterday, to the point where it continually froze.

Once open, "Mail" appears to work fine.

Once Open, "System Settings" continues to lag, especially when I try to enter the top, or Apple ID, section. It can take > 2 minutes for it to open. Once in to Apple ID, I appear not to be able to select iCloud Drive. I select it, and nothing seems to happen. I've waited for several minutes to no avail.

I can access my iCloud Drive and account via Safari and it works well on my other Mac; just this one is messed up.

As stated, I already reinstalled the MacOS using Apple recovery program. My only remaining option is to wipe the SSD and reinstall the system. I am dubious about reinstalling anything from Time Machine, though.

I need all this resolved by Monday, or else I'm up the crick without a paddle.

Apr 27, 2024 8:37 AM in response to Zardon

Without providing the free EtreCheck report as already been suggested, there is no way anyone will be able to tell what is installed on your computer that is causing the slowdown. The report also includes information about your drive speed and processes that are consuming too many resources. To avoid just throwing out guesses of any possible cause or software conflict, post the report and you are more likely to get the answer quickly.

Apr 27, 2024 1:17 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you. What does this mean?

https://eclecticlight.co/2024/02/07/why-is-my-mac-working-so-hard-after-startup-whats-cgpdfservice/

The above article states that CGPDFService is a process inside the core graphics framework.

I do not know what any of that means, but I have noted that anything involving pdfs or graphics is fried. That was the problem I had generating the EtreCheck report.

It does NOT explain other issues. Namely, why I when I try to go to "Apple ID" in "System Settings," I must wait a couple of minutes, or why I cannot then click on iCloud at all to see those settings, or why moving non-pdf/graphics files in Finder quickly becomes too slow to be useful.

I might just have to reformat and reinstall.

EtreCheck did bring to my attention that the MacOS 14.4.1 update took place the night before these problems arose.

File system very slow; applications appear normal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.