iOS very buggy since 17.4.1

When iOS 17.4.0 was released I was reading that it was a bit buggy so I skipped that update. Then shortly after 17.4.1 came which I installed via wifi. After using I started noticing that apps were not always responding to any input. For example, iPhone’s ‘Files’ didn’t always respond to any interaction. Something also remarkable was that when I wanted to restart my iPhone (after being buggy) the shutdown screen was showing quite scrambled. In this screen I cannot slide any of the 3 options. The only way I have found to restart from this screen is using Siri saying ‘restart’ and then it will give me the option to do so.

After some online search I read that it would be better to do an update via iTunes (or whatever it is called now :)). So it still stayed 17.4.1 but has got a little different code next to it, namely iOS 17.4.1. (21E237). Hoping this was the solution I unfortunately once again experienced the same issues shortly after. I have contacted Apple Support, also with the picture above, but they are not aware of similar cases. So they only could forward me to an Apple retailer visiting a Service Desk. Haven’t gotten the time to go there outside the weekend (in weekend a long waiting line…). So that’s why I am trying it here first.

Anybody having similar issues as mentioned above? If so, any resolutions to fix this?

My iPhone specs:

iPhone 13 pro

256 GB (127 still available)

iOS 17.4.1 (21E237)

4 keyboards (Dutch, English (UK), Emoji, Swiftkey (3rd party))

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on May 6, 2024 12:34 PM

2 replies

May 7, 2024 12:20 AM in response to osados

It surely is your device and not iOS 16 or 17 because...

I conducted a thorough search of this forum and uncovered numerous posts detailing similar issues across various iOS updates. This suggests that iOS updates may not consistently be the root cause. Below are a handful of examples extracted from the search results:

May 7, 2024 12:18 AM in response to osados

It's not always the iOS update's fault!  Many things can cause phone problems.  If you tell people you think it's an iOS update, it might make it harder to fix or find a solution for the real issue.

Remember, the right question often leads to the solution! Please look in the right direction.

iOS updates aim to enhance user experience, boost security, and fix bugs rather than disrupt core features. The majority of the issues after updates might stem from underlying, unmentioned factors. Updates won't typically alter personal data but may refine settings or features. Backup before major updates for safety. Review Apple's update details and backup advice for a smooth process.

Kindly consider checking your settings and addressing any device issues before attributing the issue to external factors. This could be a pure coincidence that the iOS update affected the iPhone functions.

Before initiating a standard iOS update, it's advisable to create a backup. Have you completed this step? If yes, proceed with the restoration from the backup.

See what each update does: About iOS 17 Updates, About iOS 16 Updates, About iOS 15 Updates, About iOS 14 Updates, About iOS 13 Updates, About iOS 12 Updates, and so on...

iOS very buggy since 17.4.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.