Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do some of my contacts show up as full screen pictures and some don't

Help. I am new to iphone and I am having a problem that is driving me crazy. When my husband calls me his picture shows up as a full screen picture yet when my sons call their pictures are little tiny squares in the upper right of my iphone screen. Why is that happening. What do I need to change to make all my contacts come in as full screen pictures. I have tried re-taking the pictures and using HDR setting and that was not it. I tried removing the contacts and entering them by hand instead of importing them and that did not work. What am I doing wrong. Thank you so much for the assistance.

Windows 7, iOS 4, Verizon

Posted on Mar 11, 2011 7:00 PM

32 replies

Mar 11, 2011 10:48 PM in response to cherylsIphone

Ones taken on the iPhone then assigned to a contact will be displayed as full screen. Existing pictures that are added by going into Contacts (or address book on a Mac) and then added will be the small picture in the corner.

To do this, pick one of your sons, remove their picture from their contact.

Now have them pose for a picture and take it. While still in the camera app touch the picture in the bottom left hand corner, then touch the arrow in the square menu box on the bottom left. One of the choice will be Add to Contact. Touch that.

Mar 12, 2011 3:53 PM in response to cherylsIphone

I sometimes hate Jive software.

Typed a lengthy edit to my response but did not finish within the 15 minute time limit.

You might want to go into one son's contact, tap edit and delete their picture. Then tap done.

Now go to Camera

1. Take their picture.
2. Tap the picture in the bottom left hand corner
3. Tap the arrow box in the left hand corner.
4. A menu will pop up that starts with Email Photo. Tap the one that says Assign to Contact
5. Move the picture where you want it then tap Set Photo.
6. Exit from Camera Roll, exit from Camera.
7. Have your son call, see if it worked.

Also, which iPhone and which version of iOS?

Mar 13, 2011 10:16 PM in response to cherylsIphone

Yes, and any picture I took and added to the contact, whether I deleted the other one or not before hand, was full screen when that person called me (actually I used my land line to call myself). You might try deleting one of their contacts, create a new one, take the picture, follow the steps above, then have them call you.

This is probably not the issue, but you might also upgrade your iPhone to 4.2.6.

Mar 14, 2011 10:42 AM in response to deggie

yea I tried deleting my sons contact and pictures and starting from scratch with adding the new contact, then taking the picture and adding it to the contact as you suggested and that did not work. I will go ahead and upgrade to the new version and give it another try. If you come up with anything else, please let me know. Thanks so much for your time on this issue.

Mar 14, 2011 11:22 AM in response to cherylsIphone

Well I have upgrade to the 4.2.6 version. I added a new contact, home, and took a new picture, before exiting the camera I assign the picture as you instructed and it still shows up as a small picture. Is it possible this is a Verizon thing? You mentioned the phones on your end all show the big picture when someone calls, are they all on AT&T or Verizon. Could this be a Verizon thing?

Why do some of my contacts show up as full screen pictures and some don't

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.