Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 2 headphone jack not working with some earphones

Today I plugged my Ultimate Ears earphones into the headphone jack of my new iPad 2, and I only got sound on the left channel. With some wiggling I sometimes get a blip of sound on the right channel as well. I tried 2 other earphones, and 1 of them gave me the same result, the other gave me stereo by default, but drops the right channel when wiggling the plug a little. All three earphones work just fine on my iPhone 4.

I know there's been talk of a new pogo-stick design for the headphone jack on the iPad 2. So I'm wondering, is this a "feature", or is there something wrong with the headphone jack of this iPad?

Thx!

Message was edited by: mobidutch

iPad 2, iOS 4, Earphone jack, Headphone jack

Posted on Mar 13, 2011 5:48 PM

38 replies

Mar 13, 2011 8:53 PM in response to deggie

I appreciate your reply, but it is not an issue of the plug needing to be inserted farther. It's in all the way, you can feel it snap into place. And there's no more plug left to go in further. If I plug it in all the way, it will only give me left channel. If I then ever so slightly twist the plug and apply a little bit of lateral pressure, it gives me full stereo. I've tried 5 different earphones now. One of them plugs in OK initially, but looses the right channel as soon as you start wiggling or twisting the plug a bit.

Definitely not an issue with my "insertion technique". There's something wrong with this jack. Guess I'll be making a Genius Bar appointment.

Mar 18, 2011 6:57 AM in response to mobidutch

The answer is plain simple. Apple engineers did not pay attention to the head phone jacks when they were working on losing weight and making the device thinner. The reason why the signature apple head phones don't work is because the jack is not sitting on a angled opening and the top edge prevents the current head phones to make full contact. Hence only the right channel works and you hear sound from only one of the ear pieces.

Pay attention to backward compatibility at least for devices and components that have a little more durability Apple! User uploaded file

BTW this is coming from a user who own one of everything that Steve has ever peddled!

Apr 5, 2011 9:45 PM in response to Johnathan Burger

Ouch. I just got the new iPad 2 3g Verizon, and my headphones at home make sound in my ears, but still play aloud on the iPad speaker. I bought the Apple headphones and they do the same thing, not matter how hard or far I push them in. I am also a long-time Mac owner so assume they will arrange a fix for some fuming customers soon enough (or not soon enough for my train ride to work tomorrow).
Best,
akg

Jun 3, 2011 12:47 PM in response to mobidutch

Same problem here. I have four pair of headphones. Three I get sound only on one side, and the fourth is the set that came with an old ipod and it works fine (I should note the other three pair work fine on all other devices). I bought a 3.5mm to 3.5mm adaptor which has a smaller casing around it on the male end that plugs into the ipad2, thinking that would allow me to get it all the way inside the device and therefore fix the problem (assuming that was the cause of the problem). The adapter made no difference.

Jun 8, 2011 10:57 AM in response to mobidutch

I'm having the same kind of problem. I have it on my iPhone 3gs as well. I thought it was the headphones, bought some new ones over the weekend - same thing. Have to wiggle it all around and hold it at a certain angle to make it work. Really annoying when my phone is in my pocket and it cuts out and in all the time. I have a headset on my headphones and that won't work at all no matter if I hold it so i get sound out of obth sides or not. Finally found some old headphones today and they seem to work.

Nov 10, 2011 9:20 PM in response to mobidutch

I was having the exact same problem, so replaced my iPad twice. There was no way I could have all three Apple products have the same problem. Anyway, there's an app causeing the problem.

Solution:

1)Settings

2)General

3)Reset All Settings

You won't loose any content, just resetting your perferences to stock.

Try this before replacing like I did. Enjoying my iPad right now!

iPad 2 headphone jack not working with some earphones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.