Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Distinguishing between regular and HDR iPhone pics?

Is there a way to find the HDR photos taken with the iPhone 4S? When I sync, both the regular and the HDR versions are added to aperture. How do I tell which is which?

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Nov 30, 2011 10:36 PM

6 replies

Jun 11, 2017 4:07 PM in response to skeegs

WOW! Great thanks. That is very useful.

Btw you can see the 'custom rendered' exif in some other software easily if you don't have Photoshop or just don't want to do it that way. For example, if you open the photo in Apple's Preview app that comes install with macOS you can go to Tools -> Show Inspector -> More Info tab -> Exif and there you will find a 'custom rendered' field.

Jun 15, 2012 10:47 AM in response to switchbacker

There's a custom EXIF field added when the iPhone makes an HDR image, "Custom Rendered". If the value is present and greater than 1, it's an HDR image.

If you're wanting to verify which image is HDR, you can open it in Photoshop, and File>File Info. Click on the far right tab, "Raw Data". You'll be able to see the EXIF data in it's raw markup state. There's a search field in the top right. You can use that to search for 'custom rendered', or manually search for it. It's towards the bottom.

In the three tests I did, the HDR was always the second photo. (eg: 001.jpg= stadard def, 002.jpg= HDR

Distinguishing between regular and HDR iPhone pics?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.