Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Direct print via WiFi without a computer

Wifi is a standard.

I just want to direct print to ANY PRINTER HOOKED TO A ROUTER. Whether I travel, visit friends, lecture or my daughter simply wants to print a coloring page - wifi is everywhere. Limiting my choice of printers and locations throughout the world from which I can print is more than irritating.

It's not a question of buying another app. Tell me which app I can direct print via wifi and I'll buy it. And, one that works, really works without a slave computer that has to install software.

3 rd Gen iPad, this is one serious flaw.

I reiterate,

Wifi is a standard. If I can comminicate with my router, I should be able to print to ANY printer connected to my router.

iPad (3rd generation) Wi-Fi + 4G

Posted on Mar 19, 2012 11:30 PM

16 replies

Mar 20, 2012 8:37 AM in response to geoffrey.lacy

The printer you want to use must support AirPrint for printing via wi-fi to work. More information here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4356

For older printers that don't support AirPrint, Printopia ($19.95) may be run on a Mac that's always on when you want to print: http://www.ecamm.com/mac/printopia/

You may find this TidBITS article helpful as well: http://tidbits.com/article/12460

Mar 20, 2012 9:43 AM in response to ddkilzer

(ddkilzer ) Again, royalties wars. Apple creates a new standard such as AirPrint, every apple owner has to ditch all their printers, Airport Expresses/basestations and buy "AirPrint" certified printers.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a new standard to take advantage of the new technology. 802.11 has advanced a long way a/b/g/n... etc. You build standards ontop of standards and you get a pile... haha.

Voila, Nouveau AirPrint. Great!

I just wasn't prepared to buy new printers (I just bought two non-AirPrint printers within the past 6 months).

Don't call it WiFi if it isn't. You people don't get that.

Mar 20, 2012 9:54 AM in response to Ralph9430

(Ralph9430) Put your name out there Ralph, Ralph who? I'm old school. Already programmed for banks, major Airlines, world wide distribution centers, major phone companies. I'm retired now. Apple has billions in the banks - more than some countries, and the best talent working for them in the world. And, you want me to fix this problem. I'm flattered.

And I say, if Apple didn't include wifi print based on a decades old technology, it was a business decision. A bad business decision (IMHO).

When they release this product with applications such as PAGES and NUMBERS and ADOBE READER available - it should have a yellow sticker attached -"This device does not print without the aid of another computer!"

Mar 20, 2012 9:55 AM in response to geoffrey.lacy

Wifi is a standard. If I can comminicate with my router, I should be able to print to ANY printer connected to my router.

Your forgetting a little thing called print drivers. Print drivers have been a major headache for manufactures & users for years. Anyone heard of Windows driver problems?

Try to find one laptop that can print to any printer connected to a router.

Apple choose to dispence with all the issues of having printer manufactures supplying print drivers. Instead, it told the printer manufactures to match the Airprint "standard". One print driver on the iPad developed and supported by Apple. Thus, having one interface to the printer. Downside, need an Airprint printer.

Robert

Mar 20, 2012 9:59 AM in response to rccharles

(rccharles) Very well said. But, we are all used to this decades old problem. We simply download the printer driver necessary. As I said, I'm up for a new standard such as AirPrint - I'm sure it's brilliant coming from Apple. How does that help me and 3 million others now? I want to print today. Wow, three million iPads means 3 million users buying printers... staggering.

Mar 20, 2012 10:40 AM in response to geoffrey.lacy

What kind of printer do you have? If you have an Epson, go download the Epson printing app. It allows you to print many things to a printer without having to be hooked upto a computer. I would imagine other vendors may have developed apps too.

Its not perfect, but it beats buying a new 100$ printer. Next time you run out of ink, just buy a new printer 🙂

Thats my plan. Heck , good injet cartridges cost almost 50$ nowadays for 5 inks.

Mar 20, 2012 11:50 AM in response to Joe Chiarelli

Also a good point,

I have;

A Brother color Laser writer (same go; change cartriges or buy a new printer)

An HP wide format poster printer $$$$$$

An Epson 2200 wide format Super-B printer, aging but still a fine printer.

A Canon IP6700D, My favorite multi tasking printer.

An Epson all in one.

Each has it's special task.

So, you see, I'm not opposed to buying new printers, just that I can't TRAVEL with the iPad and print. It's a perfect writers tool for me....

Mar 20, 2012 1:00 PM in response to geoffrey.lacy

Not questioning your motives (OK, I lied), but why is it so necessary for you to be able to print to a printer which is back at base? Who's going to read it? What makes it "a perfect writer's tool"? You're not there, so what use is a hard copy to you?

I'm sure there are many ways of being able to print to a local printer. Or you could drop a file into something like Dropbox and get somebody to print it off back home?

Mar 20, 2012 1:03 PM in response to geoffrey.lacy

geoffrey.lacy wrote:

It's not a question of buying another app. Tell me which app I can direct print via wifi and I'll buy it. And, one that works, really works without a slave computer that has to install software.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/print-magic/id332516694?mt=8

Have you looked at any of the printing apps available in the app store? I use the one above - don't know about any printer on any wifi network, but it should work with many printers as long as you are on the same subnet as the printer (I wifi print to a Kodak 7250 and an HP 6988 inkjet).

Mar 20, 2012 3:52 PM in response to geoffrey.lacy

Very well said. But, we are all used to this decades old problem. We simply download the printer driver necessary. As I said, I'm up for a new standard such as AirPrint - I'm sure it's brilliant coming from Apple. How does that help me and 3 million others now?

Don't forget the manufactures get blamed for all system crashes even when it is a bad print drive. Ask Microsoft. Ask apple when Safari (flash) crashes. Flash is a major cause of web browser crashes on the Mac.

It's a pain. Apple products are designed for the future not the past. I bought the orginal iMac for my parents. There was no USB printer on the market at the time. Had to buy a special USB to parallell adapter. You bought Apple. You bought their design philosophy ... for better or worse as they say.

Robert

Mar 21, 2012 2:07 AM in response to tonefox

(tonefox) I was tired and wasn't clear; I want to print while I am away from home.

ie. I am at a client site giving a Keynote presentation and they want handouts.

ie. I am at a family gathering, anniversary, birthday and for example want to print photos on my sisters printer.

There are lot's of instances were, until everyone has a AirPrint printer, that it's going to be a hassle.

Direct print via WiFi without a computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.