Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

icloud server not responding back to my mac

Back to My Mac worked in Snow Leopard, now when I check back to My Mac in Icloud settings I get the errort message "server not responding" and it tells me to switch it off and wait 15 seconds before turning it on again. Does not help

Apple support pages have no more suggestion than this. The rest of Icloud works fine, just Back to My Mac that is gone

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 9:27 AM

35 replies

Jul 3, 2012 2:10 AM in response to begekand

I posted in a couple other threads about this issue. Hope this helps.

I was having the same problem but found a solution that worked for me.

1. From the iCloud System Preferences pane, uncheck the Back to My Mac checkbox to turn it off.

2. Open the Keychain Access app (in Applications/Utilities).

3. Click the "System" keychain (You'll see keychains near the upper left of the app window).

4. Make sure "All Items" is selected in the "Category" box below.

5. In the results showing to the right, look for any key whose "Kind" is "Back to My Mac key."

6. Delete the key(s), authenticating with your password to do so.

7. Back in the iCloud System Preferences pane, re-check the Back to My Mac box.

At this point, Back to My Mac started and the "server not responding" message did not appear.

I'd tried unchecking and re-checking several times before to no avail. I hope it works for everyone.

Maybe the keys we had were tied to MobileMe and became invalid when MobileMe shut down?

Jul 10, 2012 7:41 PM in response to angiebar

You might try deleting the Apple ID certificates and/or the keys under them (in a similar fashion to deleting the Back to My Mac keys). I'm not sure though because I'm not having the same problem. Make sure you back them up first, just in case.

The certificates I'm referring to have "com.apple.idms.appleid.prd" in the name followed by a hash value. In the Keychain Access app, you can find them by clicking your login keychain, and then "My Certificates" in the Category section. To back them up, highlight each one and go to File->Export Items... and save them somewhere. Then delete them (I have two -- one for my Apple ID @mac.com and one for @me.com) and try to log into iCloud again.

I'm conjecturing that similar to the Back to My Mac keys, these Apple ID login certificates may have also been rendered invalid once MobileMe was shut down, yet they're not set to expire any time soon.

icloud server not responding back to my mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.