Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't text via wifi in airplane mode?

After iOS 6.01 I still cannot send text messages over wifi while in airplane mode and I definitely could with iOS 5.x. Even with cellular data turned off, when I try to text it tells me I must disable airplane mode to text. Needless to say, since I'm flying, I shouldn't do that. Is this a bug, or I'd there some new, hidden parameter that needs to be set?

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 9:19 AM

37 replies

Aug 16, 2013 1:19 AM in response to Jbeisick

Agreed with Jbeisick. Same thing is happening to me. I've been dealing with it for the last 2 days. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I can use the Internet, I just can't I message. When it doesn't work I haven't found a fix. I've tried restarting my phone or connecting to a different server. It just decides when it wants to work apparently. Definitely a big because I don't do anything to fix it or break it.

Nov 17, 2012 9:53 AM in response to W5OV

As per other posts, you could never send an SMS message over WiFi but you could send an iMessage.

They're both done from the messages app so perhaps you're confusing the too. The clue is in the colour of the message - green indicates it is being sent / received using SMS and this will not work in airplane mode, blue indicates it is being sent / received using WiFi and this should work with WiFi on.

If when you select the recipient the send button stays green, you will not be able to send with airplane mode enabled. And nor could you in iOS 5.

Feb 6, 2013 11:01 AM in response to W5OV

No, issue not resolved. I see the original error when I enter Message mode...so I say OK and ignore it...then I type iMessage to another iDevice and when I hit SEND I get another error that says something along the lines of "Disable Airplane mode or use wifi to send messages". Before you answer, yes I have wifi and signal is full.

Aug 16, 2013 1:58 PM in response to W5OV

It still doesn't, I promise. Your 2 options are "Cancel" and "Disable". I obviously don't want to hit disable because I may get roaming charges, so I hit cancel and type out my message. If it's working it goes through as an iMessage, and if it's not it tries sending, but the text box will be green and comes with the failed sending symbol next to it. So I can "Try Again" a million times and it never goes through. It looks as if I don't have Internet, but I can be using the Internet at the same time.

Why can't text via wifi in airplane mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.