Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 7.04 Itunes error (1)

I could do with a little help. My iphone4 (not jailbroken) has been having an issue since i installed IOS 7.03. The install crashed half way through and ever since, my phone just hasn't been right at all. It was working perfectly up to this point. When I completed a restore on my phone and got 7.03 to work on my phone, it seemed that anytime the phone powered down or was switched off, that it then failed to reboot, meaning I had to move to recovery mode and restore the phone in order to make it work again. I also noticed that 3G didnt work properly, whereby it would turn off, and then remain off. I tried to install IOS 7.04 in the hope that the issues would be resolved, but that was not to be the case. I now can't even get my phone to restore and I am confronted by error (1) on both Mac and PC. The restore gets as far as around 60%, where it tries to restore the firmware and then hangs there for about an hour. It did something similar with IOS 7.03, both at home and in the Apple Franchise store where I live. Both machines I have tried to restore on are up to date in terms of version of ITunes, and antivirus software. I actually went through the trouble of removing my virus software to ensure it wasnt interferring with the restore process. I've never had an issue with updates up to this point or with the phone for that matter. Does anyone have an wizardy up their sleeve for repairing this problem? I have been trying to restore it for the last few days. I have tried going backwards to IOS 7.02, the last stable platform when my phone actually worked, but I get error 3194. I don't want to jailbreak my phone.. not particularly anyway. The only thing I have yet to try is a restore from DFU mode, but i don't know if that will help. I reckon this is maybe the tenth time I have tried to restore it. In addition to my restore problem, has anyone experienced issues with their handsets needing continual restores since the release of IOS 7.03?

Any help to rescue my phone will be greatly appreciated.

iPhone 4, iOS 7.0.4, Issue started from IOS 7.03 install

Posted on Nov 18, 2013 11:14 AM

22 replies

Nov 18, 2013 11:51 AM in response to Clyde77

Thanks Clyde, I'll keep trying.

The only thing I don't understand is how my phone has gone from working perfectly normally, to non-operational in the space of two updates. Literally from the second I went to install IOS 7.03.

The handset was working , so I'm inclined to think that its a software issue rather than a hardware issue. Especially since this doesnt seem to be an isolated problem across multiple iphones, and administered on both mac and pc?

All of us having the same handset hardward issue at the release of an update would be very coincedental.

I'd call to make an appointment at the nearest Apple genis place (which is the Olympic Village London) so an hour away, but my phone doesn't work lol.

Nov 20, 2013 5:10 PM in response to Ninjaraoch

I'm still stuck with the same error. Has anyone got a solution or another option that i can try in order to resolve the issue myself please?

I've tried going backwards in IOS release, restoring from recovery mode, restoring from DFU mode.. holding the home button during a restore and I still have a phone that does diddly nothing. If anyone has an idea.. feel free to shout. If other people have the same issue.. maybe we can try different things at the same time and find a solution. 300 people have looked at this thread (a few are probably me I know), so I'm clearly not alone. If i find a solution myself, I'll be sure to say how I solved, but a trip to a shop to repair is looking more and more likely :/

Nov 20, 2013 7:28 PM in response to Ninjaraoch

Does anyone know why my itunes shows my serial number as n/a, or more over.. how to recitfy this issue? I think this may be interferring with my restore processUser uploaded file

This is a screen shot of what I can see. This wasn't there prior to itunes forcing me to adopt IOS 7.04 in order to do a restore, which was a result of 7.03.

Does anyone else have this issue too?

Nov 20, 2013 7:48 PM in response to Ninjaraoch

The serial number N/A has to do with the fact the device is in Recovery mode and is not reading everything. This happens when you do a new install until the iOS install is complete.

As you have found, you cannot downgrade iOS. Apple has never supported this and is what caused your 3194 error. Whether you think it is software or hardware, the best we can tell you is what we read from Apple, as we are users just like you. Clyde77 posted the recommendation from Apple regarding the Error 1 you received. You need to make an appointment at the Genius Bar to get the device checked.

Nov 20, 2013 8:03 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Thanks ChrisJ4203, I appreciate your input.

I've tried a fair few more times to restore the device.. more than the twice as suggested by Clyde77. A trip to a genius bar means a 100+ mile journey there and back... it's not exactly local to me, and the earliest that they have an appointment is week after next. I was basically trying to resolve the issue before that point if possible.

I realised that the 3194 error was to do with older firmware restores. Itunes basically blocks it and that's the error number that it gives. Thanks for the information on the serial number n/a though. I though maybe I was doing something wrong, or was hopeful that it was perhaps something that i could resolve before I tried again.

I don't know if there is anything else that I can try in the meantime.

Thanks again though.

Nov 20, 2013 8:16 PM in response to Ninjaraoch

There really isn't anything else you can try. I can understand your frustration with the trip, as I live in a rural area as well and have about the same 100 mile one way trip to Apple. However, if I need the phone, I would have to do it. That must be a very busy Apple store if they are booked for Genius Bar that far in advance. If it was a little closer, I would say go in and let them know this is the only phone you have and is necessary you have it in working order. They might be able to work you in if someone fails to show for their appointment, but that is quite a drive if you cannot get in. Good luck.

Nov 20, 2013 8:54 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Yeah it's the genius bar at the London olympic village. I'll go by train, but the fact that they are book so far in advance is a real pain, and I don't really want to chance the journey for a walk in appointment and potentially not be seen. Im away over the next few days, so i guess I will take my brick with me.. and if I happen upon a genius bar, then I will will hang around like a bad smell and see if I can't sneak in earlier to have the phone assessed at least.

At least I have tried everything that I can think of, and I won't be travelling to the genius bar unecessarily.

Thanks again

Nov 21, 2013 9:42 AM in response to Rahul Kulkarni

Thanks Rahul,

Yes I tried 7.03 and 7.02, both of which resulted int he error 3194. I even tired to trick itunes by putting the 7.02 ISPW into the roaming directory, but renaming it as the 7.04 ISPW, but Itunes recognises that the file is not the most up to date and moves to update the IOS.

I have the latest version of itunes, so Im not getting error 23 which would suggest that some software was out of date, just the error (1) for which the advice is try to restore twice more, and if that fails, take the device for service.

I even took the phone to the local Apple fanchise and they are as stuck as I am, same error message and an age to attempt a restore. They did the last restore for me for IOS 7.03 in store, and although it took a very long time to complete ( about an hour and a half) it did eventually restore... but still with some issues. Like if the phone powered down or was switched off, then it would fail to reboot properly afterwards.

I'm due to take the phone to a bigger Apple store with a genius bar, but the appoinment is some time away still. Of course that will just br having the phone assessed to find out what is wrong with it. But in the meantime, I will keep trying to see if there is anything that I can do myself... though I'm pretty much out of idea's and think I may have to admit defeat tbh.

Thanks for your input though Rahul, I do appreciate it.

Nov 23, 2013 5:04 PM in response to Rahul Kulkarni

Hi Rahul,

If it was as straight forward as that I would.

I managed to get my phone to a genius bar today.

After spending two hours in the store with three genius guys, I was told that other than being able to tell me that my device won't install the new IOS and complete a restore. They don't definitively know why this is and I would have to replace the phone. Effectively the new update has bricked my phone upon a restore.

My device is three years old, and therefore outside of the any warranty period. that being said, I do expect my phone to work for more than three years. I'm going to follow this up. My phone was working perfectly and the genius guys confirmed that other than the reboot, my phone was in good order and not water damgaed. Colchester istore did my last restore for me, and now it doesn't work at all.

No one has been able to confirm what is wrong with my device that up as of the install on IOS 7.03 worked 100%.

Not a happy camper at all.

Dec 3, 2013 9:06 AM in response to Ninjaraoch

I've had the same PROBLEM for the last 3 days! new phone, only 8 mos old. Worked fine until I tried updating.

My theory is there is a flaw in the latest IOS. The update works for most people, but I've seen quite a few posts with other bricked phones. I know there is nothing wrong with my phone!

Itunes says the software is up to date even! It tells me when it will do its next check.

I've tried all the aps I can possibly fine, redsnow, poison, tinyunbrella, ifaith etc (yes, I know not all of them are for Iphone 4s).

I've cleaned my cache, reinstalled Itunes, tried 3 different laptops, edited the host files...

You name it, if I could find info on the internet I tried it.

I tried using every ipsw between IOS 5 and IOS 7. Downloaded them all!

what I want to do is completely wipe the phone clean, no IOS what so ever, and do a completely clean IOS install, but I guess thats not possibly as I cant find anything on the internet regarding this.

I've gotten error codes 1,11,14, 3004, 3014.

The closest I've come to unbricking the phone was when it went into a reboot loop, with the apple logo appearing on the screen repeatedly. Otherwise, it has been stuck on the itunes logo.

Stupid IOS! The only thing I can think of now is to wait for the next itunes or IOS 7.0.5 maybe which can overwrite this crap.

IOS 7.04 Itunes error (1)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.