Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 8: crackling static noise during calls

It’s intermittent - on some calls you can perfectly notice it on others no problem. I have already tried resetting the phone with no success on solving the problem. I’m dealing with the issue since Friday. Very disappointed!

Does anyone has the same problem or knows how to fix it ?

Posted on Sep 24, 2017 1:59 PM

158 replies

Sep 26, 2017 10:49 AM in response to SOBADA

I can confirm I have this issues with a 1 day old 8+. I have turned speakerphone on/off. I have disabled LTE voice, I have disabled Noise Cancellation.. nothing solves this issue. I thought I didn’t have it and then on calls with my wife last night I heard it.

A way to test it is to call a number.. say 1800-PICK-UPS.. something that talks a bit so you can listen. It is a light scratching and tinny popping noise. IMO, it is widespread.

Hearing that 11.0.1 does not resolve. This is not cool.. brand new launch phones.

Sep 26, 2017 12:50 PM in response to SOBADA

I’m also very disappointed to be experiencing this issue on my brand new iPhone 8 Plus 256GB. It is a high pitched crackle/popping in the top earpiece speaker during calls over cellular or WiFi using VoIP. Toggling speakerphone intermittently can solve the issue for the rest of the call. The issue persisted despite restarts and restoring to factory settings. Sadly a replacement handset also has the same issue. I rely on my phone for work and this problem is very distracting when trying to concentrate on callers.

Sep 27, 2017 12:23 AM in response to SOBADA

Unfortunately the same here in Germany. I am with a new iPhone 8 Plus 64 GB. I can confirm that there is an issue with noise during (some) calls. I don't know if it's helpful but I noticed that you can fix this temporarily by switching to speaker and then back. I know that's not how it shoulöd be with a device that cost nearly 1000 Dollar, but I just wanted to share. Maybe it will help to find the reason.

Hopefully Apple is going to fix this very soon. Would be sad to return this, apart from that issue, wonderful device.

Sep 27, 2017 3:18 AM in response to SOBADA

Apple has confirmed in a statement to The Verge that an upcoming iOS update will fix an annoying software bug affecting some iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 owners who have reported hearing intermittent crackling sounds or static noise during both cellular and FaceTime calls.

An Apple spokesperson told the publication.

We are aware of the issue which is affecting customers in a small number of cases. Our team is at work on a fix, which will be included in an upcoming software release.

Sep 27, 2017 3:40 AM in response to madra31

Frankly I don’t think it is a software glitch as it affects “some” users. Software glitch will affect all. Could be hardware issues related?

Personally this is not acceptable, it cannot even serves the function of a phone. Even china phones will not produce such crackling.

I can’t talk on crackling noise as I work via phone. Had returned my set.

Sep 27, 2017 6:08 AM in response to Kenihh

It’s a tough call. I can understand people wanting to return/exchange. The issue here is that it’s likely a replacement will have same issue. I understand people not wanting to be outside of 14 days. However, due to Apple publicly acknowledging the issue it will likely be fixed or Apple will allow warranty replacements, which is protection outside of 14 days. I am holding out a bit. I feel better having an article published by The Verge with Apple stating they are aware and working on it.

iPhone 8: crackling static noise during calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.