Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Sign-out is not available due to restrictions

I got a new iPhone 15 pro and when I completed the setup, 2 things happened:

1) I could not sign out of my main appleID "due to restrictions"

2) I could not add additional iCloud mail accounts (it gets stuck on the verifying part)

More context: I am the family admin on the account and screen time was off in any case. This was the same as with my previous phone and other 5 devices. I spoke to apple on the phone and the recommendation was a complete factory re-install (installing from backup led to the same result). So I did that and spent another 2 hours setting up the phone. Restrictions were fine for about a day and then unilaterally popped back on. Still can't add my other accounts.

So now I am back to the start, clearly something more than screen time (I also tried resetting wifi and mobile settings). Any help appreciated, between this and the fact that the USB-C doesn't work with CarPlay either I am ready to return the phone.

Posted on Oct 25, 2023 1:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2024 11:55 AM

Hi, I just discovered I had this same issue as well. I fixed it by going to my screen time and switching off the screen time passcode that also had my Apple ID account and password saved as a back up to disable screen time settings.

that worked for me! Hope this brings you a resolution

21 replies

Apr 2, 2024 10:06 AM in response to weg888

[SOLVED] Sign-out is not available due to restrictions

Hi everyone! 👋 So basically I had the same issue as you when I helped my friend sign in to his Apple ID as his gadget was inaccessible at the moment. So I let him use mine for a few minutes... when I signed out with my Apple ID everything was fine at first. I was prompted to keep a copy of the data and I did... to make it quick and easy to just merge it when I signed in back again.

My friend's Apple ID was successfully signed in and we did what he needed and then here comes the issue when I had to log out his Apple ID from my iPhone... the Apple ID section was greyed out... I came here and followed the steps indicated as well as the possible solutions but nothing worked–well it allowed access to the Apple ID but the signed-out button was greyed out and a prompt "...unable due to restrictions" was under it.

So since I had the latest iPhone and still have Apple Support benefits... I contacted an Apple Advisor and helped me through it but still... nothing worked.

So here's the solution:

After all the tries that didn't work out... I toggled the "share across devices" on the screen time. But I made sure first that all the options under "content & privacy restrictions" are set to "allow" (especially the passcode changes and the account changes).

Do this: Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions> (set all options to "allow") < Go back...> Share Across Devices > On > Restart your iPhone

Hope it solves your issue.

-----------

Feel free to comment down below I might be able to assist if I can.

Feb 27, 2024 11:23 AM in response to AshmiNYC

This totally worked! Ever since the iOS 17.3.1 update I have been unable to get my iMessage to activate ("waiting for activation" prompt wouldn't go away and no amount of reseting or other online ideas worked). But going to "Focus" and turning off "Focus Status" for some reason did the trick. I did still have to sync to get my most recent texts to show up. Thanks for your help!

Nov 4, 2023 2:27 AM in response to weg888

Hi Apple, any other ideas here? Still fighting the same issue, can only access my main Apple ID account, very reduced functionality because we are using shared family calendars & emails. Kind of killing the whole idea of the benefits of a shared ecosystem.

If it helps, when I force remove the device via iCloud account and re-add it, the same issue starts immediately.

Nov 4, 2023 2:44 AM in response to weg888

We are not apple. we are apple users, apple is not actively participating in these forums

But, if screen time is indeed completely off, is your iPhone managed by a company? Your company's IT department can also put on restrictions on the sign out functionality/

If screen time is completely off and your iPhone is not managed by a company, I would reccommend that you Contact - Official Apple Support to get further support on the issue

Mar 25, 2024 12:02 PM in response to weg888

interested to know how you got on especially with the frustration! I got knew 13 2 years ago and find my has never worked I had advanced data procection stuck on for 4 months and I don't even have other devices I also have the message I can't sign out of Apple ID I have 22,000 messages backed up to iCloud when messages aren't even turned on for back up I could go on all night , the best bit I've not been able to log into iCloud on safari since Maybe aug last year , all I've ever been told Is engineers are looking at it! But returning the phone I've always been told no way! I only got it so I felt safe knowing people knew where I was with find my but unfortunately never have I been locatabev on maps ! And if u try change pw in appleid on safari it always says u need continue on with another device! I am really starting to despise the situation and the phone it's been over 2 years and it's still never right

Apr 10, 2024 10:36 AM in response to weg888

After all the comments that I read here nothing helped. I even talked to support and they wanted me to restart my phone which I wasn’t able to do at the moment and I thought there had to be something different.

I finally figured out what’s wrong. I read somewhere else that it was indeed in my screen time settings. Just wasn’t where people were telling me it was

You have to follow the simple steps

go Settings>Screen Time>content and privacy restrictions> under allow changes go to account changes.

then from there, you turn it off and on and once I did that I was able to log out of my Apple ID

Sign-out is not available due to restrictions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.