Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

why has beachballing when start up my macair?

when turn on my mac, beach balling a while, the startup became a bit late

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Apr 30, 2024 8:24 PM

2 replies

May 1, 2024 7:30 AM in response to phoenixfy123

I suggest that you run an EtreCheck report, and optionally, post it here if you need assistance with interpreting its results. If you are not familiar with EtreCheck, it is a diagnostics tool, developed by a valued forum member, that greatly aides in troubleshooting difficult Mac issues ... both software & hardware.

Ref: Using EtreCheck to Troubleshoot Potential… - Apple Community

May 1, 2024 6:26 AM in response to phoenixfy123

The beachball you see on your Mac, also known as the spinning wait cursor, indicates that your computer is overloaded and struggling to complete tasks. This can happen even shortly after startup for a few reasons:

• Startup Programs: Your Mac might be set to automatically launch programs when you boot up. These programs can slow down the startup process.
  • Heavy Background Processes: Some applications might run background processes even at startup, consuming resources.
  • Storage Issues: A cluttered hard drive with insufficient free space can cause your Mac to work harder, leading to the beachball.
  • Software or Hardware Problems: In rare cases, corrupted software or failing hardware can also be culprits.

Here's how you can troubleshoot the beachball appearing at startup:

1. Manage Startup Programs: Go to System Preferences > Users & Groups. Select your user and click on the Login Items tab. Uncheck any programs you don't want to launch automatically at startup.
  2. Identify Resource-Hogging Processes: Open Activity Monitor (Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor). Check the CPU, Memory, Disk, and Energy tabs to identify processes consuming high resources during startup. You can quit unnecessary processes by selecting them and clicking the "Force Quit" button.
  3. Free Up Storage Space: Use tools like Disk Utility or third-party storage management applications to identify and remove unnecessary files, applications, or old downloads. Aim for at least 15-25 GB of free space.
  4. Boot into Safe Mode: Hold down the Shift key while powering on your Mac. This loads a minimal system configuration and can help identify if startup programs are causing the issue.

If the beachball persists after trying these steps, consider resetting SMC (System Management Controller) or PRAM (Parameter RAM) for hardware troubleshooting. For software issues, reinstalling your macOS might be necessary. If you suspect failing hardware, it's best to consult an Apple service professional.

why has beachballing when start up my macair?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.