Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

OMNY suddenly requires unlocked iPhone - Express Transit option no longer available in Wallet

iPhone 12 iOS 17.4.1

OMNY was set up in my Wallet with the same credit card since 2022. I never had to unlock my phone to use it. I upgraded to the lates iOS weeks ago with no issue. As of Monday (2 days ago), I now have to unlock or double tap for it to work. I haven't changed anything. When I go into Wallet, the Express Transit option is no longer there. I've rebooted the phone. It is still not there. Please advise.

iPhone 12

Posted on May 1, 2024 6:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2024 5:17 PM

Jeff Donald said:

You can contact Apple Support by calling 1-800-MY-APPLE

You were right. The two people I spoke to hadn't heard of it before but suggested removing and re-adding the card. The Express Transit option magically reappeared. I won't know for sure until I try to use it but I believe it's solved. Thank you.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2024 5:17 PM in response to Jeff Donald

Jeff Donald said:

You can contact Apple Support by calling 1-800-MY-APPLE

You were right. The two people I spoke to hadn't heard of it before but suggested removing and re-adding the card. The Express Transit option magically reappeared. I won't know for sure until I try to use it but I believe it's solved. Thank you.

May 1, 2024 1:06 PM in response to victoria32

victoria32 wrote:

My region is set to United States. I haven't traveled anywhere other than locally.
Everything was in working order on Sunday but not on Monday.
I think the issue is with Wallet. What happened to Express Transit?

Even if your region says it's set to United States, try reselecting it in Settings>General>Language & Region>Region.

May 1, 2024 2:02 PM in response to victoria32

victoria32 wrote:

Did it change anything?

Doesn't seem to have changed anything. I still don't see the Express Transit option. I won't know if I still have to unlock it for OMNY to work until I need the subway again (tomorrow).

I was asking if the Express option had appeared. It was a long shot. I was once unable to use News because of restrictions. It was an unhelpful error message. It was only when I tried to add a card to Wallet and was told it didn't work in my region, that I checked. Yup, it said U.S. But, once I reselected, everything worked.

May 1, 2024 3:12 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Go to Settings/Wallet & Apple Pay; that’s where you select Express Transit.

However, if you are referring to NYC’s OMNY it doesn’t use the Express Transit setting; it uses the card you have registered at https://omny.info

Express Transit is not in Settings/Wallet & Apple Pay, or in Wallet app. It used to be there.

I am referring to NYC's OMNY. My card is appropriately registered with OMNY. I checked with them before posting here. Everything looks correct on that end. Express Transit allowed me to use the card without unlocking my phone. When I compare my settings with other OMNY users, they have Express Transit. I no longer do.

OMNY suddenly requires unlocked iPhone - Express Transit option no longer available in Wallet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.