Can I pair Apple Watches with iPads?

I’ve heard rumours of the ability to pair Apple Watches with iPads in iOS 17/WatchOS 10. My son would like an Apple Watch but doesn’t have a phone. Can anyone confirm that this is true? We don’t do betas for updates so I’m not sure whether this is a feature or not. Thanks!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad Air (5th generation)

Posted on Jun 6, 2023 5:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2023 6:22 AM

Now that IOS17 is out, please comment.

23 replies

Apr 30, 2024 5:28 AM in response to T-RexofNowhere

This will be my last comment. It's great to see you googled an answer. But what you've surmised from that google search, I'm sure is an attempt to prove that an iPad should be able to pair with an Apple Watch. Which is, after all, the entire point of this thread. The fact is an Apple Watch cannot, nor has it ever had a way to pair with an iPad. You did make a point previously that to make phone calls a device needs to have voice and data which iPhone has. iPad doesn't. That's what I mean by saying an iPad doesn't have a cellular radio like iPhone does.

Anything else is purely semantic and doesn't help anyone in this thread who simply want to know if they can pair an Apple Watch with an iPad. The answer is an emphatic NO, they cannot pair an Apple Watch with an iPad.

If anyone here is not happy about that, arguing with only other users, none of whom have anything to do with Apple, nor why Apple makes things work as they do, is a waste of time and pointless.

Feel free to let Apple Know what you'd like to see here --> Feedback - Watch - Apple

Apr 28, 2024 12:35 PM in response to capwalker666

capwalker666 wrote:

Look, we're not here to argue. In fat the ipad DOES have a cell signal. I get LT just fine. So, respectfully, please STOP!

I'm not here to argue either. iPad has a data connection IF you pay for data and it is an iPad which you can pay for a data plan on, but iPad does NOT have a Cellular Radio like an iPhone does. They are completely different. You are confusing a "cellular iPad" as having a cellular radio, which it most definitely does NOT have. You don't know what you're speaking about. When you purchase the forum, you can tell me to stop. But you are believing something which is factually wrong.

Apr 29, 2024 4:20 PM in response to lobsterghost1

I’m not sure where you’re getting your information, but a cellular iPad most definitely has a cellular radio in it. It has no other way to communicate with a cellular tower. The difference is how the cellular radio communicates. There are functional differences, where an iPad is data only cellular radio capable and an iPhone is voice and data capable.

Apr 29, 2024 8:47 PM in response to lobsterghost1

iPad cellular uses Gigabit LTE which is communication transmission that is optimized for data transmission. It isn't fairy dust and Harry Potter wizardry that transmits the signals. It's a cellular signal with a cellular carrier. But feel free to enlighten us with details rather than just saying I'm 100% right because I'm level 10 on the forum.

Apr 28, 2024 10:26 AM in response to capwalker666

You can't pair it to an iPad at all. So yes, if you have an iPhone 13 you can pair it to, then pair it to your iPhone 13, then unpair it from your iPhone 13 and pair it with your 15 Pro once it's returned.

If you didn't unpair the watch from the 15 Pro before sending it in for service, you'll need the directions in this link about how to pair your watch if you no longer have the old iPhone --> How to pair your Apple Watch with a new iPhone - Apple Support

Can I pair Apple Watches with iPads?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.