How is this acceptable to wait 2 weeks to recover your ID?

How can someone go without their phone for that long? My wife lost her phone and we walked into a store and purchased a new iphone ($800 at the drop of a hat because we've been using iPhones for over a decade) like normal. She forgot her login password and the only option it gave her was account recovery and after 24 hours it says now that we have to wait 13 days to get access to her account again. How is that remotely acceptable in this day in age? Utterly ridiculous to say it is for security purposes. One should be able to with a state ID, drivers license, security questions, or something. We are thinking about returning her phone and going with an android for the first time after all of this. After all the money we've spent on apple products to simply get a "there is nothing we can do" from support and tell us to wait for 14 days. Pathetic!

Posted on Aug 14, 2023 11:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2023 9:11 AM

I agree this is unacceptable. I left my business phone at a known location but have not yet been able to retrieve it. I locked the phone but decided to try and back it up and then erase it for security reasons. Unfortunately, my password is not correct so I have verified with Apple my business email, I have provided them with a personal number and verified that number, and yet I am unable to access my account, erase my phone, or anything else shy of flying back to where I left the phone for 23 days. This leaves me very uncomfortable from a security standpoint. In this day and age, I should have more access to my account than this system currently allows - do better Apple. I have 723 employees and I picked Apple phones because I felt confident in my ability to better control them, but this has changed my mind.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2023 9:11 AM in response to ah5454

I agree this is unacceptable. I left my business phone at a known location but have not yet been able to retrieve it. I locked the phone but decided to try and back it up and then erase it for security reasons. Unfortunately, my password is not correct so I have verified with Apple my business email, I have provided them with a personal number and verified that number, and yet I am unable to access my account, erase my phone, or anything else shy of flying back to where I left the phone for 23 days. This leaves me very uncomfortable from a security standpoint. In this day and age, I should have more access to my account than this system currently allows - do better Apple. I have 723 employees and I picked Apple phones because I felt confident in my ability to better control them, but this has changed my mind.

Feb 23, 2024 10:13 AM in response to ah5454

Same case for my daughter. She is not able to reset her password for iCloud for more than 2 weeks. Apples validation prompts rotates amongsts three of her apple devices however after successful validation, non of the devices are able to save her new password.

She spent hours on 30+ calls with apple support calls & 1 in-store genius bar visit (and as of last Friday, she was told that her ticket was marked with P2 priority with ATS team and issue is still not resolved). We are iCloud+ customers who pays expensive subscription every month however issue remains.

She is due to travel to another city on her own with her broken phone (for which repair requires to reset password and log out of device). As a parents, we are very concerned sending our daughter to another location with broken device.

Apple wake up !!

[Edited by Moderator]

Feb 28, 2024 10:09 PM in response to ah5454

The same thing is happening with my iPhone. The recovery is not working. I purchased my new phone the 1st week of February. I have been to the Apple store 3 times; and online with Apple numerous times. Each time I get a message from Apple, I follow their instructions (even at the Apple store with their employees) and the end result is nothing; need more verification. I have now been pushed back from February 21 to March 6th. I am seriously looking at the Android. The only solution Apple has given me is to clear both my old phone and new phone. I cannot loose all of the information, business information, etc. from my old phone. This solution is not acceptable. Apple is causing financial damage to my business. How is it acceptable to wait 5 weeks to recover the password for my account?

Aug 14, 2023 11:51 AM in response to ah5454

From: How to use account recovery when you can’t reset your Apple ID password - Apple Support

"In some cases, you might be able to speed up the account recovery process or reset your password immediately by verifying a six-digit code sent to your primary email address. You might also be able to shorten the wait time by providing credit-card details to confirm your identity. If you’re given this option, an authorization request goes to the card issuer." - see the document for more details.

Apple Support Communities is set up as an end-user to end-user technical issue support service (i.e., users like you helping other users). Feedback for Apple will likely get more attention if you send it using: Product Feedback - Apple

Apr 9, 2024 9:12 AM in response to roboticflamingo

roboticflamingo wrote:

Btw it's possible that a user can get in to a knot with an Apple ID if you set up or login on a new device and you cannot remember the password (esp if you have multiple devices), and the only way out is to recover account. For some reason, it only listed devices that I am not associated with, despite having another machine logged in nearby. In my case it says 2 weeks, as a software engineer - it's kind of stupid because I have actually authenticated via multiple methods (phone and email). It's a bit below par for sure. I don't mind it being secure, but it's a bit OTT IMO.

Well, how acceptable would it be if a hacker did NOT have to wait 2 weeks to get access to your account? As pretty much everyone’s personal details are available for a price on the dark web, verifying your identity is much harder than you realize. Both your phone and your email are public information and can be spoofed, to use your example.

The alternative is for YOU to take total responsibility for your account security by creating a Recovery Key. Once you do that Apple will not be able to unlock your account at all, but, as long as you keep your Recovery Key secure, you can do it yourself with no waiting period. See→Set up a recovery key for your Apple ID - Apple Support.

Apr 9, 2024 6:07 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Btw it's possible that a user can get in to a knot with an Apple ID if you set up or login on a new device and you cannot remember the password (esp if you have multiple devices), and the only way out is to recover account. For some reason, it only listed devices that I am not associated with, despite having another machine logged in nearby. In my case it says 2 weeks, as a software engineer - it's kind of stupid because I have actually authenticated via multiple methods (phone and email). It's a bit below par for sure. I don't mind it being secure, but it's a bit OTT IMO.

Apr 9, 2024 6:18 AM in response to roboticflamingo

roboticflamingo wrote:

Btw it's possible that a user can get in to a knot with an Apple ID if you set up or login on a new device and you cannot remember the password (esp if you have multiple devices),

Your Apple ID password is the same on every device that you're using that Apple ID on, so I'm not sure I understand how multiple devices enter into it.

How is this acceptable to wait 2 weeks to recover your ID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.