Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Continuity Camera on iPhone with Apple TV Not Working - Black Screen

When trying to do a FaceTime call on my Apple TV 4K (Updated to latest software) and connecting my iPhone 15 Pro Max (also updated to latest software), the continuity camera does not work. I can make it to the step when my phone prompts me to allow the continuity camera, then gives me instructions to place the camera near the TV (back facing me) in landscape orientation. The feed that shows what my camera is seeing remains black. It gives me the option to skip the step and proceed to a FaceTime call, but the other caller only sees a black screen for me.

I have tried the following troubleshooting steps:

1. Trying other devices - I have duplicated the same bug on both of my Apple TV 4Ks and on my wife's iPhone 12 Pro Max.
  2. Restarting all devices - both iPhones and Apple TV's
  3. I've confirmed all devices are on the same WiFi network
  4. I've updated all devices to the latest software - both phones and TV's
  5. I've tried multiple positions for the iPhone when trying to set up continuity (camera module up, camera module down, different pitch angles - some have reported finding a "magic" angle but I have not found such a position).
  6. I've verified there are no objects blocking the camera
  7. I've verified the Continuity Camera setting is turned on in both iPhones.

Any solutions or other troubleshooting ideas besides the one above would be appreciated.

Windows

Posted on Sep 30, 2023 12:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2023 6:41 AM

Had this same problem with iPhone 15 Pro, and had successfully used FT on ATV with previous iPhone. What fixed this for me was a suggestion I happened to find in another thread, here TVOS 17 Continuity Camera - Apple Community

On Apple TV go to Settings Remotes & Devices > Remote App and Devices and then remove your device by clicking on it and selecting “Forget This Device”. Reboot your AppleTV and re-pair your iPhone by placing it near the AppleTV. It should work then.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 22, 2023 6:41 AM in response to Dirtyirby

Had this same problem with iPhone 15 Pro, and had successfully used FT on ATV with previous iPhone. What fixed this for me was a suggestion I happened to find in another thread, here TVOS 17 Continuity Camera - Apple Community

On Apple TV go to Settings Remotes & Devices > Remote App and Devices and then remove your device by clicking on it and selecting “Forget This Device”. Reboot your AppleTV and re-pair your iPhone by placing it near the AppleTV. It should work then.

Oct 8, 2023 2:27 AM in response to Dirtyirby

So i think i figured it out. If you have a HomePod connected to the Apple tv as the default audio output than the continuity camera won t work. If you set the default audio output to the tv than it will work. On the Apple tv go to settings - Video and sound - sound output - select tv speaker. After that try FaceTime and continuity camera should work.

Oct 23, 2023 1:31 PM in response to Karolz79

I had it working with the HomePods once, then it didn't work anymore and now it only works the way you describe. That's already pretty annoying.

But I have an additional issue: if I start to increase the volume, I can't stop it and it runs up to 100%, if I lower the volume, it runs down to 0%. (LG OLED65C9, Apple TV 4K 2nd gen (tvOS 17.0), iPhone 15 Pro (17.0.3)).

Continuity Camera on iPhone with Apple TV Not Working - Black Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.