Screen sharing broken in Sonoma

Tried for hours cannot get this to work after upgrade to Sonoma.

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 2:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2023 7:43 AM

I cannot believe we are still waiting for a fix on this, nearly 8 weeks after the release of Sonoma.

It makes me wonder just how much testing goes into new releases.

I am so close to reverting back to Ventura

83 replies

Nov 21, 2023 5:47 AM in response to MH_2

Since upgrade to Sonoma, Screen Sharing is broken on headless Mac Mini M2. The Mac shows up in the network list on the local network with the screen share button available. It is slow to present an authentication window. Once credentials are entered, it just spins never authenticating. That is the current state. Earlier, after reboot, it would connect, and we were presented a new option for high speed connections? and a virtual screen number of one or two. We selected One. Seems to work for the session but when you log out the user, the screen goes black instead of returning to the user login screen. At this point, you cannot connect to the mini via screen share. The Mini was upgraded two days ago. The virtual screen selection is a new wrinkle and to be honest, I'm not sure what it is trying to accomplish. Eventually, everything degrades and nothing works. The main client is a MacBook Pro M1 running Sonoma. Target, as stated earlier, is a Mac Mini M2. Other machines on the network running older OS can no longer access this machine as well.

Oct 3, 2023 9:35 AM in response to IanBarber

Screen sharing also stopped working after the Sonoma update. Still works on my old laptop running MacOS Monterey 12.6.3 I get the same pop-up instantly although the recipient says they got my invite. By the time they click on "Allow" I get the message that the connection has failed. Very inconvenient as I use this option frequently. Hope Apple takes notice and sends out a fix. My current computer with Sonoma is a MacBook Pro running Sonoma 14.0. Will test it again with a recipient and ask them to use "Invite to Share My Screen."

Jan 16, 2024 2:03 PM in response to MH_2

It is now 16 January 2024 and while my Mac Mini M2Pro can screen share with my 27" iMac running Mojave (10.14.6) successfully, when I try to screen share from the iMac to the Mini, and I enter an admin name and verified password it always says the connection failed.

I even changed my password on the Mini and it STILL will not let me log in.

Cmon Apple get this fixed! I _NEED_ to be able to screen share with my Mini !

Dec 7, 2023 6:03 AM in response to MH_2

I was able to get it to work by going to: Sys prefs>General>Sharing>Advanced

Enable the three options, 'Remote Mgmt', 'Remote Login', 'Remote App Scripting'

Select the round "I" for each choice and specifically add the user account you want to connect.

Don't know if enabling the last option, 'Remote App Scripting' was necessary, but this use to be called:

'Remote Apple Events' so I enabled it anyway.

Hope this helps someone

Oct 3, 2023 3:47 AM in response to MH_2

I am also experiencing the same issue since upgrading to macOS 14 (Sonoma)

My Use Case:

Sender using Mac 2019 Intel

Recipient Using Mac Mini M1

From Messages, choose "Conversation" from the menu tab and then select "Ask to share screen"

After a short wait, the following dialog is shown.

The only way to get this to work is to ask the recipient to select "Invite To Share My Screen"

This was working 100% prior to upgrading from Ventura.

Mar 16, 2024 8:21 PM in response to MH_2

Just found this thread now after completing a fresh standard build of Sonoma 14.4 and couldn't believe I couldn't figure out how to get Remote Management to work in the standard way for a nominated admin user account like I have always done for use with ARD for over 20 years.

Tried most of the things presented in this community thread without success. Having set the account for access, whenever I came back to the settings for RM the user account I had defined would be gone. Disappeared!

Apple Remote Desktop access would just be refused as if the account I used had no rights to access!

Then I thought, what the heck, I'd try setting the Remote Management to be allowed for All Users!!!

Now it all works like it always used to.

If this hadn't worked I was contemplating turning off all the Remote Management, Remote Login, and Remote Application Scripting settings to return them to default, and testing out if remote access worked by turning on just the Screen Sharing access. Is Apple trying to force us to use Screen Sharing?

Screen sharing broken in Sonoma

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.