Skin irritation started under Apple Watch sensor

I have worn an Apple Watch without problems for over 5 years, a 2 now an SE, but in the last month have experienced a dermatitis under the watch sensor area that’s got bad enough for me to have to stop wearing the watch and switch wrists. I worry the new side (which I don’t like) is starting to itch too. It seems from the Apple Support Community that this is not uncommon, what’s going on? Has the way the sensor works been changed in a Watch OS upgrade?

Posted on Dec 4, 2023 2:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 13, 2024 1:43 AM

I've been using the same Apple Watch with Aluminium case since 2018 and contact dermatitis appeared out of nowhere. After 6 years!!

I changed the wrists and it happened again. Now I've got a brand-new Series 9 with the same Aluminium case as a gift, but I am unsure whether it will cause the same issue.

I wonder if maybe it is because of the Aluminium case and is there anybody experiencing the same issue with stainless steel or titanium cases?

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 13, 2024 1:43 AM in response to Swimblet

I've been using the same Apple Watch with Aluminium case since 2018 and contact dermatitis appeared out of nowhere. After 6 years!!

I changed the wrists and it happened again. Now I've got a brand-new Series 9 with the same Aluminium case as a gift, but I am unsure whether it will cause the same issue.

I wonder if maybe it is because of the Aluminium case and is there anybody experiencing the same issue with stainless steel or titanium cases?

Apr 12, 2024 5:12 AM in response to Masoudaf

I got my watch in 2020 and I started getting rashes under watch head too. I’m a nurse and I thought it was from washing me hands and it getting wet underneath it. But I been careful to make sure that it’s dry underneath as well. I made sure I clean the watch head. I know it’s not too tight because it slightly rotates around my wrist. I have it where it’s just enough it could move slightly, but not enough to lose the connection so I get my information, I clean the watch all the time. And I don’t wear it to bed at night. I keep it on the charger so it will last all day at work. I thought maybe could’ve been a reaction to a med. The only thing I take is the occasional Tylenol or NSAID. Now that I see so many people have this issue I wonder what it could be

Dec 5, 2023 12:08 AM in response to Swimblet

Unfortunately, the sensor on your new watch is different than the sensor on your old watch. Several folks report irritation, blisters and even burns with newer watches.

Apple wants you to call Apple Support and report the issue.

Worldwide Apple Support -

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

M1 Mac mini, macOS 14.1.2;  Watch, series 7 GPS/cellular, watchOS 10.1.1; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 17.1.2; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 17.1.2; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 17; HomePods, audioOS 17.1.1 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

Dec 5, 2023 2:54 AM in response to Swimblet

I’ve had my watch for almost a year and a half. No issues at all until a couple months ago, and suddenly minor dermatitis both under the sensor *and* on the inside of my wrist where the metal connector rests. 🙄 idk!

But at least you’re not alone.🙃

I don’t think I’ll be able to make the switch to my right wrist, so I’ve been playing with creative problem solving.

I put a little round Band-Aid over the metal connector thingy.

The sensor is a little more tricksy. For obvious reasons.

I did find something which I think works… Or seems to work…It’s hard to set up air descent control experiment to verify…

Right now I’m using a short section of elastic pet bandage to create a thin translucent barrier. I wear my watch over it and, as far as I can tell, measurements seem to be pretty normal. (I’m still slightly in disbelief that that’s actually working.)

I use the pet bandage hack about half a day, use the watch like normal about a quarter of the day (and with Band-Aid over the metal connector thing). And take the watch off completely for about a quarter of the day.

I keep the skin clean, lightly moisturized, and dab a bit of topical cortisol. it’s definitely not getting worse and seems to be getting better. Slowly.

I don’t know what caused it. The immune system is complex, dynamic, and not an island unto itself. Its also not really an instant response alert system. A butterfly might have flapped their wings by your ear and two weeks later a barely discernible hint of redness appears on your wrist. it might resolve completely. It’s also possible to become sensitized to materials or substances, and that’s often irreversible.

Hope that helps some! 😁 Let me know if you have any questions, want a link to my vet bandage supplier, or anything.

[Edited by Moderator]

Apr 17, 2024 10:08 PM in response to Swimblet

My wife has been experiencing this from day one too. We got a Series 8. For the first 6-7 months, she did not wear it as she was not habituated to a watch, but gradually, as she tried, it created redness within a day, and it got bad. We have been attempting sanitizing, changing the belt, moisturizing everything, and nothing works. It has to be a metal or a sensor-based reaction. Is Apple doing anything about it? They should ideally replace watches or speak about this actively.

Apr 18, 2024 1:56 AM in response to viks_rum

Apple told me to see a Doctor and get full skin allergy tests done. I’ve not done this as our nhs is very stretched and it’s only my newish Apple Watch which is causing a problem. As a result I am wearing it intermittently and on both wrists. I do think Apple need to sit up and take notice and not just put the onus on the customer to sort it out. Maybe they've used or done something different in the manufacturing process as I never had this problem with my old Apple Watch. I’d like them to revisit this and give me a watch which can be worn without burning my skin

May 9, 2024 5:31 PM in response to Swimblet

Hey! Curious to know if you ever found a solution that worked for you? I’ve had an Apple Watch since 2018 and never had an issue until Dec 2023. I called Apple about it last week, spent 45+ minutes on the phone, was escalated to a safety advisor and then my case was sent to engineering. 5 days later I finally got a call back and all they were prepared to do is lecture me on how to wash my watch (which I already do, religiously). Very frustrating!

May 9, 2024 9:57 PM in response to brenswee

Judging by the number of people experiencing a problem with a recent skin reaction to Apple Watch (and to what one contributor said is a different sensor) Apple should acknowledge a problem - not simply with individuals and how they use the watch, but with the product. And do something about it! Anyone aware of any media about this or consumer representation?

May 15, 2024 2:12 PM in response to Swimblet

I’ve had multiple Apple Watches, various series and upgraded to the series 9 two months ago. I’ve reacted twice now in two separate areas on my wrist to the sensors (both of which are taking ages to heal). I don’t feel I can wear the watch anymore without having a plaster on underneath to stop the sensors causing me itching, discomfort and my skin breaking. With the plaster on a lot of the monitoring functions don’t work so spending out on getting the new watch was a total waste!

Skin irritation started under Apple Watch sensor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.