Mac Sonoma automatically sets incorrect time

I am new to using a Mac. I seeing thie weird offset of time with it, no specifc gaps in time sometimes its as much as 40 mins behind other times, it is 20-30 minute behind. I have it set to atomatically upate time from apple server. unsure what else to do.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 15, 2024 11:56 AM

6 replies

May 15, 2024 12:01 PM in response to PudaRocks

Can you connect to the Internet?

If you CAN, the INTERNAL Date&Time are likely correct, but how it is displayed TO YOU is messed up. In that case, see this article:

Change how dates, times, and more display on Mac - Apple Support

Change how dates, times, and more appear on Mac - Apple Support

The procedure is:

change the Region to a different one, NOT your own. e.g., in the UK, set to the US.

Close the window and save changes.

Change to the Region you wish to use in the long run.

Close the window and save changes.

Restart your Mac.

Test.

May 16, 2024 6:24 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Here is the link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/17pqni0/macos_sonoma_drifting_system_time/

“I raised an apple support case for this. We repeated the steps and they grabbed the logs. After the case was escalated they instructed me to run this command from the terminal. sudo mv /var/db/timed/com.apple.timed.plist ~/Destop ; sudo reboot

Now when I set the date and time automatically from the system preferences it sets the correct date and time as expected. Hopefully this simple trick might help others.

I saw this from this forum: Date and time in my Mac goes wrong in aut… - Apple Community

Upvote

Downvote

6mo ago

This helped me! Although just sudo rm /var/db/timed/com.apple.timed.plist and then reboot woks fine.

Upvote

Downvote

6 more replies

Mac Sonoma automatically sets incorrect time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.