Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Mac Mail rules disappearing

I have the common problem of Mail rules disappearing when quitting Mail. I lost a rule that took me days to compile, so I need to restore rules from a recent Time Machine backup.

In Ventura, which file holds the rules?

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Jun 11, 2023 3:30 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Jun 11, 2023 10:10 PM in response to Old Toad

Perfect, thanks, except that it didn't work, returning the stale data, and I think I know why.

If you make a rule change, don't close the Rules window, quit Mail, and relaunch, the change is lost. I just tested it.

Yes, I had the Rules window up for a long time making changes, and *probably* didn't close it (hidden?) when I finally quit Mail. A warning would be nice.

Jun 12, 2023 7:43 AM in response to vonlost

And when I make the SyncedRules.plist replacement, Rules are empty, not even the default Apple rule.

I see SynchedRules.plist, UnsynchedRules.plist, and RulesActiveState.plist. How do they interact? Which should I restore to get the old rules back? Are other pertinent files to get back to old rules? At the moment I have lost all rules. Thanks!

Mac Mail rules disappearing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.