I can’t top up my icoca with apple pay

I’m not currently in Japan right now but I want to top up my transit passes before hand through the apple wallet. It worked fine with suica but it keeps failing with icoca, I use a revolut Mastercard. Anyone knows how to fix this? Thanks in advance!

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 23, 2023 1:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2023 12:23 AM

foreign issue VISA and Mastercard are not currently working for adding money to Apple Pay ICOCA .

Amex cards are work or you can add JPY cash to the card at any station recharge kiosk or 7 Bank ATM.

14 replies

May 7, 2024 3:33 AM in response to trista184

A community member here recently reported it may be due to recent changes in Japan using a new card security measure known as <3D Secure.> This adds an extra layer of security to online transactions. Many US banks have not fully adopted the new standard. Some cards may be enabled and some may not be. A call to the bank may resolve the issue.

MastCard seems the card most likely to work, followed by American Express. It seems some users have better luck during business hours in Japan. So if in the states, that may mean the middle of the night for you.

You’re the first in a longtime that has reported issues while in Japan and at a station.

I can’t top up my icoca with apple pay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.