M2 Ultra poor performance After Effects

Hi, I've ran a couple of tests, comparing a Mac Studio M1 Ultra with a M2 Ultra.

.Mac Studio M1 Ultra 128GB Memory, 20C CPU, 48C GPU, 2TB SSD - Monterey 12.6.7

.Mac Studio M2 Ultra 192GB Memory, 24C CPU, 76C GPU, 2TB SSD - Ventura 13.5

The 2 computers have the same After Effects version 23.5.0 and settings (multiframe rendering on, disk cache enable with 256GB on computer internal ssd drive,...), and the project files are located in an external NVMe SSD OWC Envoy Pro Fx (1TB)

. Project #1 Test: UHD resolutuion, only have photos, animated graphics and an animated logo with alpha (ProRes4444). Project Color Depth 16bpc.

I opened the same project from the same external OWC ssd drive in both computers.

The M1 Ultra plays the preview in real time (once it´s stored on the disk cache).

But with the M2 Ultra, the preview doesn´t play in real time, it´s very choppy, even if I keep it playing for ever.

. Project #2 Test: 1080p project with ProRes 422 footages, lumetri, and a few animated graphics, Color Depth 16bpc.

The same result, in the M1 Ultra it plays real time.

But with the M2 Ultra, it´s unusable, very choppy, not real time at all, even in half or third resolution, or changing color depth from 16bpc to 8bpc.

Posted on Aug 2, 2023 1:18 AM

Similar questions

16 replies

Aug 5, 2023 6:39 AM in response to etresoft

etresoft wrote:

Obviously, this is where the problem lies. Maybe it's the cable. Maybe it's the drive.

Or maybe it's not the drive at all. The more I think about this, the more I think it could be something else.

However, in order to find out where the problem actually lies, you do need to remove the external drive from the equation. There is a long thread (Extremely slow file transfer speeds on OS Ventura) about problems with slow external drives. I didn't notice any problem with my 2017 MBP running Ventura. But when I got my M2, which can only run Ventura, I noticed that just having an external plugged in made the drive extremely hot. I wasn't even copying any data. I didn't test any transfer speeds, but it definitely shouldn't have been smoking hot like that.

Also, there are a couple of long threads about Ventura video problems (Sony 100 fps and 120 fps XAVC-S 10-bit 4:2:2 on Ventura 13.4 on Apple Silicon). Supposedly, version 13.5 fixes the problem. (If only someone could have predicted that!). But clearly, Ventura has problems with video processing.

Additionally, you are using After Effects. Maybe this is just a problem with After Effects on either the M2 and/or Ventura.

Just be careful about upgrading. You are essentially doing what I recommended a couple of months ago. You have a stable production computer running a stable operating system and a working configuration. But you are having problems with the latest OS version. Whatever you do, don't upgrade the Monterey machine until you are happy with the M2. You will likely have to wait until macOS 14 Sonoma before you can do that. But once the M2 is working, stop upgrading it. Instead, start upgrading the old M1. Use that to test each and every Sonoma upgrade. That way, when the M1 breaks, you'll still have the M2 to use, just like you still have the M1 to use right now.

You are doing everything correctly. Just stop worrying about where the problem is. That is irreverent because you can't fix that. Your only option is to wait until it magically fixes itself, or you find a new way of working.

Aug 5, 2023 8:28 AM in response to etresoft

etresoft wrote:
There is no "of course" here in the forums. If you don't mention something, and it seems like a likely probability, then that is what people are going to suggest. You are very familiar with your problem, so you might skip details that you think are irrelevant. We are not familiar with your problem, but we do see many other problems, so we are going to make assumptions based on what we have seen.

Sorry about that, I did not pretend to hide things or to not respect forum rules. I don't use to post things. I apologise.

I didn't want to extend my experience posting all the details (that it's why I posted what I thought it was more relevant), but maybe I should have done so.

I just want to explain my experience in case it can help someone, and at the same time, to check if someone is having similar issues.

But if someone is interested on knowing the full process, with all the tests I ran, I will be happy to explain it.

To be more precise, and coming back to my last test performed with the Apple Support Team at the Apple store, I will explain what we did.

As you will see, I think is the most relevant test, because the tests that I will describe were perform without the Wacom and without the external hard drive, using Apple monitors, and executed and supervised by the Apple Support Team.

But you are right, (as I said, I am not an engineer), there could be other issues that are causing the problem.

1. The M2 Ultra had plug in two Apple Studio Displays, 1 Apple Keyboard (with cable), 1 Apple mouse (with cable).
  2. The support team performed two different diagnosis tests (one was the memory test), and everything was ok.
  3. The support team restored the firmware (they mentioned that they performed deeper diagnosis tests) and reinstalled OS Ventura.
  4. I installed only After Effects and Davinci Resolve (no plugins) to run the tests.

. Playback a single 4K ProRes422 5 seconds clip (no fx, no color grading) in Davinci.

. Playing an After Effects 10 seconds 4K animation preview stored on disk caché of internal ssd drive (the AE project was using still photos, shape layers, some native effects,... nothing fancy)

The results were the same in both softwares, choppy playback issues when using with 2 monitors.

Smooth playback using only one monitor.

I understand that isn't what you want to hear. Users expect their software to work the same way when they upgrade system software and change hardware. Users expect applications vendors and operating system vendors to work together. All of those assumptions are wrong. None of that happens.

If your livelihood depends on these computers, it is your responsibility to make sure they work. Adobe isn't going to do it. Apple isn't going to do it. Once Sonoma is released, and Adobe has a new version of After Effects to sell, then you can expect good performance using that specific version combination of macOS/After Effects running on the Mac hardware that is being sold at that time. Then you can't change any of that for any reason. If you want to apply updates for "security" or to get pretty new features, then you'll need to use the 2 computer method I described above. Most of the time, it will work fine and you'll feel like you are wasting your time and money. Most of the time.

My native language is not English and I am not sure if your comment above it's because my previous post sounded like a complain, but it wasn't, I m just sharing my experience.

I gave a chance to the new M2 Ultra (cause I needed a new machine, and M1 Ultra wasn't available anymore), as I said, based on my own good experience using my M1 Ultra for one year.

My first concern was to not be able to downgrade to Monterey. I always try to upgrade OS the later I can. If my current OS is stable and reliable, I don't upgrade until it's strictly necessary.

I was excited to see how the M2 Ultra could perform comparing to the M1 Ultra.

Finally I had no luck, maybe is my unit, or maybe there are more cases with similar issues, I honestly don't know.

As you said, and I am 100% agree, it's my responsibility to have a work system that works to be able to delivery to my clients a professional service.

I received my M2 Ultra last Monday, and since then I've been in contact with the Apple Support several times, and investing time to try to find a solution.

Now is the time, for me, to ask myself if I want and I am able to invest more time trying to make it work, or maybe it´s more clever, in my currrent work situation, to ask for a refund and look for a second hand M1 Ultra to have a work system stable and reliable.

Truly thankful for your time reading and answering to my posts!

I appreciate it!

Cheers!

Aug 4, 2023 4:49 AM in response to dialabrain

Hi ku4hx and dialabrain,

I was waiting to perform more tests before updating this post.

I spent the last few days talking with Apple Support.

To not make this too long, I will share the last, and I think most relevant results.

I am using my M2 Ultra with 2 displays (LG 27UK650).

I realise that the problem comes when I work with both displays.

If I unplug my second monitor, everything runs smoothly.

Using both monitors, causes After effects to reproduce preview not real time (very choppy), same with Davinci Resolve reproducing a single 4K ProRes422 clip (with no effects at all), and with Premiere.

The weird thing is that I've been working with my M1 Ultra (Monterey) for the last year, using the same LG monitors, and I did not have a single issue in terms of graphic performance using my every day softwares.

This afternoon I have an appointment in Apple Store to perform the same tests but plugging the MacStudio M2 Ultra to 2 Apple Displays and see if the issues still remain or not.

I will post the results tonight.

Cheers!

Aug 5, 2023 3:17 AM in response to dialabrain

Hi,

Yesterday I tested my Mac Studio M2 Ultra at the Apple Store with 2 Apple Displays and the same issues occurred.

When I plug in 2 monitors, After Effects preview doesn't play real time.

The same with Davinci Resolve, a single 4K ProRes422 clip plays very choppy.

If I use only 1 display, things work fine.

The Apple support team at the Apple store tried restoring the firmware and OS Ventura, but it did not solve the problem. : (

Sep 7, 2023 11:02 AM in response to 2infuse

Well here we go- I today ran into the exact same issue on my new Mac Studio, with two XDR displays. This machine runs the exact same software versions ans my M1 Max MacBook Pro which has zero issues like this.

I‘m glad I found this and another similar thread on the adobe forums. With one monitor, it‘s fine, with two, unusable. It only affects after effects in my case though, resolve works fine, so does Premiere (but only after a re-install)….

I found out three things:

-Setting up a new user account seems to resolve the issue on that user.

-when u set each monitor to use its own SPACE in system preferences, the problem also goes away. This is the solution for me right now, even though I don‘t really like this mode of using Mac OS.

- When you do a screen recording, while the recording is running, everything plays back smoothly.

This last one is the oddest one - but it strongly points to some sort of software bug either on adobe‘s or apple‘s side. I reached out to someone from the adobe after effects dev team who helped me in the past, I hope it get their attention.

Aug 5, 2023 5:47 AM in response to 2infuse

2infuse wrote:

the same external OWC ssd drive in both computers.

Obviously, this is where the problem lies. Maybe it's the cable. Maybe it's the drive.

If you want to do a comparison between the two computers, you'll need to copy the project to the local drive on each and do your comparison that way.

Edit: Could be the Thunderbolt bandwidth too. Using an external and 2 displays, you have to move all the data to the CPU and then move it back across two displays over the same bus. It could be a problem with the M2 device, but you have to narrow down the problem space by cutting the external data cord.

Aug 5, 2023 6:41 AM in response to etresoft

Hi etresoft,

I probably did not explain myself correctly.

My first tests were using the same work system configuration in terms of I/o devices, on both computers.

Pointed out that I've been working with my M1 Ultra (Monterey) for the last year, and I did not have any issue (2 LG monitors + OWC NMVe SSD external drive + Wacom Intuos Pro)

Of course I ran the same tests with the files copied to the internal ssd drive of the Mac Studio. But it did not solve the problem.

The most relevant test is the one I did yesterday at the Apple Store, using 2 Apple Displays plugged to my M2 Ultra (before and after restoring the firmware and the OS Ventura by the Apple Support Team).

When I plug in 2 monitors, the issues appears (using external ssd drive or internal one).

When I use only 1 display, it works fine (using external ssd drive or internal one).

I am not an engineer, but keeping in mind that the exact same work system has no issues in my M1 Ultra for the past year, my guess is that the problems comes from the way Ventura manages the TB ports, or M2 Ultra architecture design issue.

Aug 5, 2023 6:56 AM in response to etresoft

Hi etresoft,

I agree with you in terms of how upgrading my work system (new computers, new OS,....).

The "problem" is that my workload is increasing (which is a good thing), and I needed a new machine to grow up the team.

Mac Studio M1 Ultra is not available anymore, and there is no way to buy an M2 Ultra with Monterey.

In fact, the first thing I asked Apple was if it was possible to downgrade the M2 Ultra to Monterey (cause in my M1 Ultra works fine), which is not.

I don't use to buy new hardware as soon as it is released, but this time I did not have to many options.

I think the Mac Studio M2 was released in June, and I order it 10 July.

I did some research, and I did not find any "bad" review about it.

That is why I ended up buying the M2 Ultra, based on my good experience with my M1 Ultra.

Also OS Ventura was already updated to the 13.5 version, which solved important fixes (I think some of the Adobe Apps had problems with earlier Ventura versions)

Aug 5, 2023 6:59 AM in response to 2infuse

I forgot to mention that I also performed some test using Davinci Resolve (free version and Studio version).

Reproducing a single 4K ProRes422 clip (5 seconds duration) with no fx or color correction applied to it.

And I had the same choppy playback issues using 2 monitors.

With only 1 monitor, it worked fine.

Aug 5, 2023 7:05 AM in response to 2infuse

2infuse wrote:

Of course I ran the same tests with the files copied to the internal ssd drive of the Mac Studio. But it did not solve the problem.

There is no "of course" here in the forums. If you don't mention something, and it seems like a likely probability, then that is what people are going to suggest. You are very familiar with your problem, so you might skip details that you think are irrelevant. We are not familiar with your problem, but we do see many other problems, so we are going to make assumptions based on what we have seen.

And for some reason, people with modern M1 and M2 Macs, especially Mac Studios, have an unnatural obsession with external drives. The internal SSD runs at 4500 MB/s, but they refuse to use it. They will only use externals at one half to 1/10th the speed.

I am not an engineer, but keeping in mind that the exact same work system has no issues in my M1 Ultra for the past year, my guess is that the problems comes from the way Ventura manages the TB ports, or M2 Ultra architecture design issue.

There are other possibilities. It's good that you've eliminated the external as a possibility, but you have to make sure. If you haven't already done that, you must unplug the external before doing the test.

And you didn't mention the Wacom device either. Wacom has been problematic with recent versions of macOS. You have to keep that unplugged and completely uninstall the drivers. Having fun yet?

Speaking of uninstallations, you don't have any other system modifications installed do you? 3rd party antivirus or "security" apps? Memory "cleaners"? Other kinds of "clean up" tools? Any of those system hacks that are oh so popular? In short, the only valid test is no external devices and no 3rd party software - including After Effects because that could be the problem too.

I understand that isn't what you want to hear. Users expect their software to work the same way when they upgrade system software and change hardware. Users expect applications vendors and operating system vendors to work together. All of those assumptions are wrong. None of that happens.

If your livelihood depends on these computers, it is your responsibility to make sure they work. Adobe isn't going to do it. Apple isn't going to do it. Once Sonoma is released, and Adobe has a new version of After Effects to sell, then you can expect good performance using that specific version combination of macOS/After Effects running on the Mac hardware that is being sold at that time. Then you can't change any of that for any reason. If you want to apply updates for "security" or to get pretty new features, then you'll need to use the 2 computer method I described above. Most of the time, it will work fine and you'll feel like you are wasting your time and money. Most of the time.

Aug 5, 2023 3:02 PM in response to 2infuse

2infuse wrote:

My native language is not English and I am not sure if your comment above it's because my previous post sounded like a complain, but it wasn't, I m just sharing my experience.

Not at all. You're one of the most gracious and polite people that I've encountered in the forums.

Now is the time, for me, to ask myself if I want and I am able to invest more time trying to make it work, or maybe it´s more clever, in my currrent work situation, to ask for a refund and look for a second hand M1 Ultra to have a work system stable and reliable.

My concern is that you've only tested this with 3rd party software. You would be surprised how poor most 3rd party software really is. With something like this that demands a lot from the hardware, I would not be surprised if it was simply a software problem. And to be honest, it could also be an Apple software problem. Apple struggles with Ventura just as much as 3rd party developers do.

The only guaranteed test would be to upgrade the M1 machine to Ventura and see if it displays the same problem. My guess is that it would. Apple is very good at marketing, but the reality is significantly worse. If you could find some other way of demonstrating the problem using only Apple software, then you would be able to test that on another M2 machine. If you see the same problem, which I think you would, then you would know that it is a Ventura problem. You could try the public beta of Sonoma. If it works there, then you definitely know it is a Ventura problem and that you have a path forward with the M2. I don't have much confidence that it would be any better in Sonoma.

I don't have any better answer for you. Remember that modern Macs are little more than iPads. People assume that multiple display support should be solid after 20 years. But multiple display support on the iPad is brand new, so these kinds of bugs are to be expected. This is totally new hardware.

Aug 7, 2023 2:08 AM in response to etresoft

Hi etresoft,

etresoft wrote:

Not at all. You're one of the most gracious and polite people that I've encountered in the forums.

Thanks for your words!

I agree with you, there are more tests that I could perform, like the ones you suggested.

And I am also agree about the fact that this is totally new hardware, and I guess most 3rd party software could improve their applications to extract the full performance capacity of this technology.

My problem right now is that I am already immersed in new projects and I don't really have time to keep trying things.

And I have a limited time to ask for a new computer or a refund.

I will keep posting new inputs about the topic if they are relevant and worth to share.

Thanks!!!

May 10, 2024 9:45 PM in response to 2infuse

I'm running a Mac mini m2 pro with multiple monitors and can honestly say it's causing the issue with choppy performance which it shouldn't. I hate to say it but this is what happens when they integrated everything all in one board and say it's better when it's not. My 2017 MBP doesn't have an issue and that's because it has an actual GPU in it. Now with this new chipset they say it has one but some of the Adobe software doesn't recognize it at all. I've also tried looking up what the M-chips GPU is equivalent to and it's not good. I have a 2060 in my PC and use the same monitors and no issues with choppy playback or slow rendering. I recommend for anyone moving forward not to bank on using their Mac with multiple monitors using Adobe software that requires rendering until they come out with a solid OS that can support the work we do. Besides Apple was known for their superiority in the design field but now after Jobs left the earth I'm not so sure anymore

M2 Ultra poor performance After Effects

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.