Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Vision Pro watching Purchased & Downloaded movies residing in Movie Library

Hardware: Mac Studio M1 Max (14.3), which is ethernet connected to Network LAN (1GB+ switches & same for ethernet cables); an Apple TV 4K 2022 (17.3), which is ethernet connected to Network LAN as well as, HDMI connected to an AVR & 5.1 Surround Speaker system and also, HDMI connected to a 4K HDTV ...

I am unclear whether (as well as, how) one can watch movies purchased & downloaded to a Mac's TV app Library, which are sharable over (macOS) Home Share to TV's Computers app to watch 1080p MPEG-4 movie files (purchased before transition to only 1080p HLS files).

{ HLS movie files only viewable using TV app's Library access (on a Mac or Apple TV 4K); but both MPEG-4 & HLS movie files can be accessed & played from TV app's Library. }

So...

• (1) How does Vision Pro connect & play (purchased & downloaded) movies from a Movie Library?
  • (2) Can 1080p MPEG-4 file movies be viewed, using Vision Pro (& its Mac connecting capability) to connect to a Mac for watching Home Share movies, which are accessible in Apple TV's Computers Movie Library, or...
  • Can Vision Pro only access downloaded movies (1080p MPEG-4 & 1080p HLS files) by connecting Vision Pro to Apple TV 4K (by AirPlay... ?) and, selecting the movie Library, accessed through TV app, to then, select & initiate playing a movie ?

Apple TV 4K, 17

Posted on Feb 3, 2024 11:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2024 6:32 PM

You have access to the files app - you could play any video from there, and of course, files will connect to your mac or iCloud.

But I think his option 2, was to just press the download button, so the movie is downloaded as a local copy (like you do on an iPhone or iPad). I think this explains the reference to 1080p - which is the max Apple offers for downloaded content.

Having watched the 4k, 3D movies streamed... yikes!... are they cool :)

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2024 6:32 PM in response to Phillip Sheeler1

You have access to the files app - you could play any video from there, and of course, files will connect to your mac or iCloud.

But I think his option 2, was to just press the download button, so the movie is downloaded as a local copy (like you do on an iPhone or iPad). I think this explains the reference to 1080p - which is the max Apple offers for downloaded content.

Having watched the 4k, 3D movies streamed... yikes!... are they cool :)

Feb 3, 2024 9:08 PM in response to pbGuy

I'm sure the OS is a moving target, but ATM, you can only see downloadable (read: purchased) movies. I can switch to a video library that is "Family Shared." When I switch, it will load the library (slowly, like on an iPad), and though the movies show, they don't load and play.

There is no Home Sharing option - YET.

There is also no option to login to a different ID for purchases.

There is also no option to switch users in the ATV app. Which, although Family Sharing says you can share subscriptions, it is not working ATM - at least for me.

They do have the Files app, but I haven't had a chance to try playing a movie through it.

Feb 5, 2024 3:02 PM in response to Phillip Sheeler1

@Phillip Steeler1

I did not specifically ask about the copying / transfer steps for a purchased movie, regardless whether an MPEG-4 or HLS file, from one's Library residing within a Mac's TV app's Library to Vision Pro's internal storage.

Here's the link to Managing Library on Vision Pro. ...Some of the Guide details are not as precisely written out as I would like, but no doubt, various Apple news websites will fill in those details at some point.

Feb 4, 2024 12:28 PM in response to XBigRedDogx

@XBigRedDogx & @Vancouver22 ... Thanks for your earlier replies.

I am curious about how Vision Pro (VP) really works when watching purchased / downloaded movies as this one feature, if implemented really well, might be the "killer entertainment app" which justifies / rationalizes a purchase, for me, of a Vision Pro.

• There's now no doubt VP's TV app is how access to one's purchased (Movie) Library takes place; but,
  • if a movie is locally stored, Vision Pro would seemingly be using one's 2.4GHz WiFi Network for VP's TV app to access the Movie Library (associated with one's ID, and the movie file has been locally downloaded to wherever movie's purchase was completed or copied somewhere else).
  • In my case, all my Movies have been purchased & downloaded solely using my Mac Studio's TV app's access to the TV Store; and none have ever been synced to iCloud.
  • I've never purchased any movies using either my Apple TV 4K's TV Store app or, iPad Pro's TV Store app.
  • My purchased Movie Library has 247 titles; 1.23 TBs of movie files downloaded to my Mac Studio; none downloaded to my iPad Pro (11" iPad Pro WiFi 4th gen. - 128GB Capacity).

Completed a test to check movie playback using my iPad's TV app's (Movie) Library access over my 2.4 GHz WiFi network to select & watch on my iPad Pro.

• All purchased movies were "shown" pretty quickly in my iPad Pro's TV app's Movie Library access; selected 1 movie; and started & watched the movie on my iPad Pro. ...Worked well as I expected.

So if an iPad Pro easily does it this way, wouldn't Vision Pro essentially do it the same way, when watching a purchased movie using the Vision Pro's TV app's access to my Movie Library ?

Or, must a movie (to be watched) be synced from one's Movie Library to iCloud, which would then, be from where Vision Pro's TV app accesses the movie for streaming into Vision Pro ?

• If such is the case, seems streaming a movie from iCloud's servers, over the internet and WiFi, might be subject to playback vagaries, since 1080p movie files can be large (depending on movie's time-length & especially if in color).

Feb 5, 2024 9:43 AM in response to XBigRedDogx

I've spoken with Apple. ...Here's what I was told.

• Vision Pro can stream / play a movie from one's TV app's Library in 1 of 2 ways:

1. Stream over Vision Pro's WiFi & Internet connection, which streams the Movie from one's Apple ID account using Apple's iCloud servers. {Content must be cached on the iCloud servers.}
  2. Or, download the Movie, which would then be 1080p, to Vision Pro's internal storage. ...Then, watching will be playing a local copy.
    • Using this method does require the extra, download step, but it would nicely support movies, particularly long ones, for reliable & smooth (home) 1080p playback.
    • And, subsequent deleting the downloaded copy, would be easy peasy.

I have been quite satisfied with all my purchased, 1080p movies (MPEG-4 & HLS) for watching on a 4K HDTV. While Vision Pro's videoplay specs may be somewhat different (offhand, I don't know precisely), recently posted, Vision Pro reviews have indicated watching movies, even 3D, is quite astounding. ...I'm keen.

Mar 7, 2024 3:02 PM in response to Phillip Sheeler1

@Phillip Sheeler1

• I've haven't yet seen a step-by-step explanation about copying/downloading a purchased movie is completed; but, I surmise it's similar to copying/downloading a movie into an iPad's internal storage. {I do not have an Vision Pro.}
  • Probably, one would open the VP's TV app -> select Library -> after selecting a Title, one uses eye selection & finger selecting a navigable Menu that allows selecting what to do next.
  • I did pose the question about whether preferable to download to Vision Pro's storage or WiFi stream. ...This question produced a definitive reply from a podcast called Magic Rays of Light (about what's playing on TV's Apple TV+ streaming service) with MacStories hosts: Sigmund Judge & Devon Dundee.

Both hosts agreed 9 times out of 10, best downloading to VP's storage (deleting afterwards), so one is streaming a local copy from VP (rather than WiFi live-streaming).

Principal reason given was downloading copies a more robust (higher quality), audio file version into storage compared to audio being live-streamed over WiFi. They offered that WiFi streaming certainly acceptable, but for high quality movies (say, likes of Avatar or Marvel movies), one gets a better audio / visual playback experience when movie is playing from VP's storage.

I also sense downloading would also be preferable if preparing to watch a long movie and one wanted to keep VP AC cable connected to an AC source during complete playback.

Feb 4, 2024 2:17 PM in response to pbGuy

@pbGuy, I would certainly expect at some point in the future the VP apps would mimic the iPad and ATV apps in terms of functionality… but it currently doesn’t (or perhaps I just can’t figure it out).

ATM, you can’t do Home Sharing, so you can’t see a local library, or anything in one.

You can only see shared libraries with downloadable content (though, again it isn’t working for me - I can load the library, but can’t play them).

Actually after rereading your response, it occurs to me you are asking if the normal ATV app is using a cached (locally downloaded version) of an a movie, even if you requested it from the server (that is not using home sharing, but instead asking for a local copy from Apple devices on your local network). I don’t think Apple does this. I’m pretty sure if this, because I used to have a similar setup, where I kept a downloaded version of all purchases. I can recall several instances of using ATV, to watch a movie and see it had updates or content that my local version did not. This was a couple years ago, so they could have changed.

i stopped this setup when 4k became norm, since Apple doesn’t offer 4k downloadable content (for save that is).

Also, I’m told there is VP only content (some movies in 3d). I’m not sure how they would do that if it were searching locally cached content first. Maybe a question? IDK

Feb 5, 2024 1:50 PM in response to XBigRedDogx

In response to the post by pbguy. The number 2 option you describe for playing movies is to transfer the file to the Vision Pro's storage. Did Apple explain how to do this? For example, how would I move an mp4 movie file from the hard drive of my Mac Studio to the SSD storage in my Vision Pro (so that I could then watch the movie through the Vision Pro)?

Vision Pro watching Purchased & Downloaded movies residing in Movie Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.