Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Unable to get my camera to focus on my iPhone 12

My iPhone 12 all of a sudden couldn’t focus the camera. At the same time, when using the camera, it makes a scratching electric sound in short pulses. Hard restart will not solve the issue. Is this a known problem and how do you fix it?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on May 27, 2023 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2023 9:54 PM

Hello Thomas , my camera currently started doing the same thing as you described . How did you fix this issue if i may ask?

52 replies

Mar 8, 2024 10:29 PM in response to ThomasMauritz

this issue started happening to me too and i WOULD believe it was a problem of me dropping my phone and something breaking loose BUT why are there so many other people here in the past month with my same phone having this same issue after this was posted a year ago? this makes me believe it’s a software issue and Apple should do something about it. i don’t want to take it to the Apple Store because they’re just going to tell me it’s broken and i need a new one like they did with my laptop that ended up not even being broken. How is everyone’s iPhone 12 just happening to do this all within weeks of each other?

May 28, 2023 11:35 PM in response to Neil22R

Thanks for your answer, but it didn’t solve the issue. I have been listening more closely to the “noise” and I have come to the conclusion that the camera is frantically trying to focus and refocus thus making the intermittent scratching sounds. The picture captured is out of focus and sometimes flowing like under water regardless of mode - video, slow motion, panorama etc.

Mar 8, 2024 10:02 PM in response to ThomasMauritz

I got this issue a week before ! I use protective case to protect both my camera and phone! Did not drop my phone even once !! I got freaked out when I heard the short circuit like sound whenever I open my camera! After doing my research I came to know that this problem is happening in majority of iphone 12s. Apple please give us a solution!

Unable to get my camera to focus on my iPhone 12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.