Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel panic with external monitor

Hello everyone,

I have a MacBook Pro 15' from 2019 with Touch Bar. I work on it with external monitor and MX Keys with MX Master 3 connected via bluetooth. So the Mac is closed. Screen is connected via USB C to Display Port cable. I also have power and camera connected. The problem is when I put my Mac to sleep by clicking Apple Logo at the top left corner it sometimes can't wake up. It gets a Kernel Panic so it turns off. It's not every time but it's regular. Well, I tried SMC reset, NVRAM reset, I have also read that power nap off could help but it doesn't. So, has anyone have the same issue and idea how to resolve it?

I'm attaching system report from latest bug. Hope that's helpful. Thank you.

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Aug 17, 2020 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2020 1:41 AM

Hello Kappy,

just to let you and other people know. I replaced the USB C to Display Port Cable and all my problems are gone. Not only the kernel panic but also AirPods Pro connectivity issues (unclear sound). It looks like the cable was causing a short circuit and was affecting the bluetooth module.

Thank you for your time.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2020 1:41 AM in response to Kappy

Hello Kappy,

just to let you and other people know. I replaced the USB C to Display Port Cable and all my problems are gone. Not only the kernel panic but also AirPods Pro connectivity issues (unclear sound). It looks like the cable was causing a short circuit and was affecting the bluetooth module.

Thank you for your time.

Aug 17, 2020 11:50 AM in response to maciej209

The panic log you posted suggests there is a possible problem with USB connected devices. The main panic seems to have occurred with a Thunderbolt device. You are running Catalina 10.15.6. If you have not done so, then Download and Install the macOS Catalina 10.15.6 Supplemental Update.

I would begin by uninstalling BitDefender software. I would suggest taking these steps:

A Troubleshooting Procedure that may Fix Problems with macOS El Capitan or Later

You should try each, one at a time, then test to see if the problem is fixed before going on to the next.

If possible, backup your files before proceeding.

1. Shutdown the computer and disconnect all third-party peripherals.
  2. Wait 30 seconds before you restart the computer.
  3. Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM
  4. Reset the System Management Controller (SMC)
  5. Reset your Startup Disk and Sound preferences, if needed, after resetting the PRAM.
  6. Test in safe mode to see if the problem persists, then restart normally. See How  to  use  safe  mode  on  your  Mac.
  7. Repair the disk by booting from the Recovery HD. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears. Choose Disk Utility and click on the Continue button. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.  Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar. Wait for the Done button to appear. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu. Restart the computer from the Apple Menu.
  8. Create a New User Account Open Users & Groups preferences. Click on the lock icon and enter your Admin password when prompted. On the left under Current User click on the Add [+] button under Login Options. Setup a new Admin user account. Upon completion log out of your current account then log into the new account. If your problems cease, then consider switching to the new account and transferring your files to it - Transferring files from one User Account to another.

Aug 17, 2020 11:50 AM in response to Kappy

Dealing with Kernel Panics

Disconnect any third-party peripherals including any USB hubs. How to use safe mode on your Mac, Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support then boot the computer into Safe Mode: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support and Playing Safe- what does Safe mode do? See Diagnosing problems- crash, freeze, panic, or spinning beach ball?, Don’t Panic! Understanding & Troubleshooting Kernel Panics in macOSHow to fix kernel panics after installing OS X updates | MacIssues, and If your Mac restarted because of a problem - Apple Support.

Kernel panics are indicative of possible hardware failure, so you should Check your Mac with hardware diagnostics or AHT. Kernel panic logs are found in: /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/ folder.

If you have no success figuring what is happening then you may need to examine the software you have running when the panics occur. Be sure it’s all current. If you must to resolve the problem erase the disk and reinstall macOS. Follow this outline to reset the computer to the factory-new state: Factory reset of your Mac - Apple Support.

Boot Into Safe Mode

1. If your Mac isn’t already shut down, then shut it down and wait at least 30 seconds before rebooting.
  2. Immediately, at or before the chime, press and hold down the SHIFT key. 
  3. Release the key after the Apple logo and progress bar appear.
  4. Safe mode startup is much slower than normal startup, so be patient.
  5. When the Login Screen appears enter your admin password. If you use automatic login, then this means you are in safe mode.

Aug 17, 2020 12:28 PM in response to maciej209

Anti-malware software is often the cause of incompatibilities that may lead to panics. It isn't essential software because macOS has built-in malware protection which is regularly updated by Apple as needed if you have enabled automatic updates in Software Update preferences pane.

If you boot into Safe mode that will disable third-party add-ons and extensions until the next normal reboot. Safe mode gives you some help in tracking down the causes of problems.

Kernel panic with external monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.