Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apps not recognised as installed by App Store or findable by Spotlight following Migration Assistant?

I installed macOS on a new SSD in my MBP and during setup I used Migration Assistant with a Time Machine backup (because it wouldn't let me do a full Time Machine restore).

Most things seem to be back to normal except that Spotlight is not finding some apps that I definitely have installed (like Pages, MS Word, Xcode, etc) and the App Store doesn't realise that these apps are already installed.

It only seems to be an issue with apps that I got through the App Store. Apps I downloaded through Adobe Creative Cloud like Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop both show up in Spotlight and work fine.

What do I do? How do I fix this?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Apr 13, 2021 5:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2021 5:40 AM

Try resetting Spotlight.

System Preferences->Spotlight, click Privacy, and drag your drive to the list.

Quit System Preferences, go there again, select the drive and press “-“ to remove from the list. This will force Spotlight to reindex your drive.

Similar questions

1 reply

Apps not recognised as installed by App Store or findable by Spotlight following Migration Assistant?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.