Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina running my MBP MUCH HOTTER than High Sierra!

This issue has been appearing on this community forum now for over two years and there has not been one useful explanation provided. WHAT IS GOING ON???

I have Catalina set up in a separate APFS volume, so I am running Catalina on one volume, and High Sierra on the other.

When I run High Sierra, my typical temp is around 48 degrees running just basic apps like a browser, email, etc. There are no other apps running in the background according to activity manager. Even when I run more demand programs like Photoshop and Adobe Premiere, temps may increase but the fans adequately control temps at no higher than 55 degrees max under the heaviest processing but then they come down quickly afterwards.

When I run Catalina on the other volume, I get around 60 degrees with the identical basic programs running and nothing running in the background.

So, obviously my hardware is fine, and no background apps are running.

Now if I open more demanding programs that require heavy processing like Photoshop or video editing like Adobe Premiere, my temps will go as high as 65 WITH FANS RUNNING AT FULL SPEED, and even when the heaviest processing ends, the temps stay well about 60 degrees.!

Right now, as I write this message with only Safari opened and nothing else, my temp is 62 degrees.

My only reason for downloading Catalina was so I could work with the latest 64 bit programs like Corel Painter which are processor intensive. So, this temperature situation can not be good! Does anyone have some genuine explanation or preferable ACTIONABLE ADVICE?

Posted on Jul 16, 2021 12:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2021 12:06 AM

Here is an article that may help.

3 replies

Catalina running my MBP MUCH HOTTER than High Sierra!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.