Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Application.musicdb cannot be read (Error -54). Tried to restore file, but I am still getting error.

I am hoping to receive some assistance regarding the "Application.musicdb cannot be read (Error -54)" message that appeared randomely last Saturday. I have tried restoring the "Music Library.musiclibrary" and the "Application.musicdb" from backups but I am still receiving the error. The backups were from a Carbon Copy backup and the rewind feature using Dropbox. So far, nothing has been able to remedy the situation.

Here is a screenshot of my apple music/itunes folder.

Here is a screenshot when I click "show package contents" of the Music Library.musiclibrary file. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!

MacBook Pro 14″

Posted on Feb 6, 2024 9:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2024 4:32 AM

Had this issue following MacOS update 14.4.1. I added the "Music" app to both "Media & Apple Music" and "Full Disk Access" in the Privacy and Security settings. Fixed problem for me.

14 replies

Mar 13, 2024 6:24 PM in response to PeterV-CA

I also had this issue, and I've managed to fix it. It started when I installed some updates on March 12th. I'm on macOS Sonoma, but I'm not sure what updates I installed.

The problem seems to be that there are TWO "Music Library" files, and Apple Music is using the wrong one. The correct one is located in Users/<username>/Music/Music. I had an extra copy elsewhere because a few months back I'd been messing around with it and manually editing it. All I had to do to fix the problem was delete that extra copy, and move the contents of the subfolder Media/Music back to Users/<username>/Music/Music (since it seems Apple Music moved all the songs there to the new location - not sure if moving the songs back was necessary or if just deleting the extra copy would have fixed it).

Application.musicdb cannot be read (Error -54). Tried to restore file, but I am still getting error.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.