Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows installation getting stuck

Hi, I've been trying to install Windows 10 using Boot Camp, but every time the installation process is being stuck in "Getting Ready" stage and then restarting and showing this (see screenshot). Please help me out with possible solution!

I'm using a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Graphics Intel Iris 1536 MB. Latest macOS High Sierra 10.13.3 installed.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Feb 22, 2018 4:04 PM

15 replies

Feb 24, 2018 7:36 AM in response to Loner T

I don't think so. It shows "choose a network" if I open 'start up disk' menu. (by pressing option key while starting)

However my macOS automatically connects to my home wifi when I log in.

I hope that clarifies?

Just to explain exactly what is happening - The installation process is going smoothly till 'Getting Ready' > then the small dot animation on that page is getting stuck > then after few hours (sometimes more than few hours), it's showing "your PC ran into a problem" and restarting automatically > then it's just showing that message (see screenshot).

Additional info - I can see a red light through the headphone jack on my mac as soon as the process (probably) reached getting ready; not sure what is that about; just wanted to let you know.

(Today, last time when I tried to install W10 1607 Anniversary Update, it was stuck for around 10 hours, but didn't restart automatically, so I shutdown by pressing the power button just to go back to my macOS, however it was still showing the same message when I tried going back to windows)

Feb 24, 2018 7:56 AM in response to tarikr

W10 has forced updates. If you connect to any network, it will try and download updates. This is why I suggested disconnecting from all networks, before you choose a partition to install Windows. Do not connect to any network till Windows is fully installed and functional. You may also want to consider disabling Windows Updates for any drivers using GPEdit.msc or a metered connection.

Feb 25, 2018 10:43 AM in response to Loner T

Hi Loner, I tried again - removed the BC partition > removed all external storage > reset SMC > reset NVRAM > and tried installing again with 1607 ISO (used a USB2 flash drive), but still getting the same result.

The small dot animation is not stopping but installation is stuck there for hours. Please help with any other possible solution!

Many thanks for your continuous assistance!

Feb 26, 2018 6:19 PM in response to Loner T

Hi Loner, it worked! Thank you so much! I am so grateful!

Any suggestions to run both windows and mac smoothly? Should I ever try to install the updated version?

Also, if you could let me know a couple of things, that would be so helpful:

1. How to make the trackpad fully functional?

2. As the windows is not activated, will that cause any problem?

Feb 26, 2018 6:58 PM in response to tarikr

tarikr wrote:

Any suggestions to run both windows and mac smoothly? Should I ever try to install the updated version?

You can update the version, but ensure you have good backups, before you update/upgrade. There are known issues with Intel GPU drivers in later releases of W10 - 1703 and 1709.

tarikr wrote:

1. How to make the trackpad fully functional?

Did you install Bootcamp drivers?

tarikr wrote:

2. As the windows is not activated, will that cause any problem?

If Windows is not activated, you will not be able to use Windows Update.

Feb 27, 2018 10:44 AM in response to Loner T

Hi Loner, Yes - I installed Bootcamp and trackpad is working fine (just the basic functions).

I'm just facing one problem -

Windows is running fine when connected to power. But it's becoming unresponsive/hang immediately when on battery, then again working fine when connected to power.

It's showing your PC ran into a problem and automatically restarting while starting up if not connected to power adapter. Any possible solution for that?

Many thanks

Windows installation getting stuck

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.