Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone and 2007 MINI Cooper

I tested my iPhone this weekend with my 2007 MINI Cooper. The MINI is equipped with a Bluetooth phone preparation, Navigation system and iPod harness. The results were:

- Bluetooth phone preparation - The iPhone paired just fine with the new system.

- Navigation system - This system actually integrates communication and entertainment as well. Voice commands and dialing functions worked correctly with the iPhone.

- iPod harness - This was a bust. The iPhone displays a message that the adapter is not compatible and gives you an option to turn off the phone. When I turned the phone function off the iPhone showed up under the CD menu just like my regular iPod. When I left the phone function on, the iPhone did not show up in the entertainment menu. After I unplugged it from the adapter it started kicking out to the desktop whenever I opened an application. I had to give it a soft reset to get it back to normal. This may only be a temporary issue. The dealer had to reprogram the computer to work with the adapter when I purchased it so maybe another update will released that will add iPhone compatibility.

To sum up, the iPhone currently works with Bluetooth and the Nav Computer on the 2007 MINI Cooper but not with the iPod adapter. You'll want to keep an older iPod handy for use in the car and use the iPhone for walking-around music.

iPhone Mac OS X (10.4.10) 2007 MINI Cooper compatibility

Posted on Jul 2, 2007 5:29 PM

43 replies

Aug 29, 2007 9:18 PM in response to Andrew Carter

My curiosity is piqued. I am considering dumping the Crackberry (which works fine with my 07 CooperS w/bluetooth) in favor of the iphone. But if the addresses look like garble-dee-gook when scrolling on the panel then that's a problem (especially because I drive a manual). Andrew, have you had any more luck since your posting? I have trigger finger...my hand is on the 'add to shopping cart' button...

Aug 30, 2007 12:01 PM in response to Andrew Carter

I have an '07 Mini and my iPhone paired nicely and the address book works great. When I add new people to the iPhone, they show up in the car the next time I get in.
I didn't get the iPod adapter. Right now I use the aux input. I still plug in the cig lighter charger and audio cable to the iPhone when I get in the car.
My old cell phone mount from my '03 Mini wouldn't work in the '07 (no flat surfaces). I got a mount that attaches to an A/C vent and have it on the passenger side vent.

'07 Mini Cooper w/ factory installed Bluetooth

Sep 20, 2007 5:56 PM in response to Andrew Carter

Andrew,

Did you ever get the address book feature to work. I bought my iPhone and it paired nicely, all address book names working beautifully. But today, after having my car in for service (where they had to do some reprogramming for the car's keys) I now get the strange number sequences instead of names, although when I click on a number of the sequence, the phone then shows the name assigned to that. Strange... So I was curious if you found the fix or if service was able to help you.

-Greg

Sep 21, 2007 11:35 PM in response to James Self

I am having a similar problem with my 2007 Mini Cooper S. My bluetooth/iphone connection worked flawlessly in every way. Then I sent it in for service, adding an ipod adapter. I just got it back today, and the address book is all gobblygook on the Navigator screen. It seems to me like somehow the ipod adapter is messing things up with the phone. Any ideas or success on a fix?

Sep 23, 2007 9:46 PM in response to Mark Hall1

It works! At least for me it does...

I have a 2007 MINI Cooper S with Bluetooth, Nav System, and the integrated iPod adapter.

The steps I followed:

1) Activate Bluetooth on your iPhone and pair up with the MINI's Bluetooth. Remember to pair up using the number that's displayed on the iPhone (e.g., "MINIXXXXX").

2) Plug the iPhone to the iPod adapter.

3) The iPhone will ask you to confirm and switch to "Airplane Mode". Select "NO".

4) Go to CD1-5 to access your iPod playlists/artists/albums/etc...

5) Place calls using the Bluetooth menu on the Nav system...

It works like a charm! When I place a call, it pauses on the song and resumes after I hang up. It's the perfect companion to the MINI Cooper.

Sep 24, 2007 12:50 PM in response to Randy Pinol

Hmmm...so you're using basically the same setup as mine except for the .mac piece. Are you running 10.4.10 also? Sorry for all the questions, but as you can tell I'm trying to ferret out the culprit.

Of course, there could be a bluetooth hardware or software difference on the BMW side but that will be a bit harder to track down. I have an appointment with the service department at my mini dealership tomorrow so I'll hopefully have more information then.

-Brian

iPhone and 2007 MINI Cooper

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.