Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cracked iPhone Glass!

Well today has pretty much been the worst day of my life. I have a beautiful $600 iPhone that slipped out of my hands today while taking it out of my house for the first time (of course, only my luck) and it cracked the glass into many pieces (that are still intact within the phone). If anyone has any idea what I can do, I've had it not even a week and was literally on my way to buy a case and this happened, I would appreciate some help. What kind of warranty is there, how much will it be to replace the glass screen (do we even need a glass screen since there's another plastic or something screen underneath it). I purchased this online through the Apple store so there's no Apple stores near me or even ATT stores. Anyone who can help me please do so, this cracked screen is unbearable!

Mason

MacBook Core Duo Mac OS X (10.4.10) 2GB RAM

Posted on Jul 20, 2007 3:44 PM

27 replies

Jul 20, 2007 3:54 PM in response to mms1648

Man.. I feel for you.. I truly do.
I would just call. I'm sure you already have though. They should be able to give you an estimate before sending it in. I don't think this would be covered under your warranty, because you dropped it.
They will send you a box to ship it in and thats that! They MAY let you get a loaner for a fee.. I read someones post earlier that was charged a $30 fee for a loaner. Whether that's true, I don't know.
Good luck, and let us know how it goes.. I'm curious to see how much the ordeal would be.

Jul 20, 2007 4:00 PM in response to nasmac

uhhhh...nasmac, hello? where have you been? $30 bucks for this high tech piece of optical glass from APPLE???!!! Come on...I doubt seriously this glass will be anywhere near $30! And the labor is probably per hour rated by a tech book, including testing the unit and surely would be much more than 15 or 20! I bet it would cost at least $100 to get the glass replaced, if not more. Not trying to be a bearer of bad or negative news but Apple as you may have noticed does not give anything away, including parts and service. The battery for the iPhone is 80 bucks plus!

Jul 20, 2007 4:02 PM in response to mms1648

Someone else just went through that here. Something like $250 to get it fixed by Apple.

If you're willing and able to do it yourself, the company in this how-to-video sells the LCD and touchscreen together for $99. Would have to ask if that includes the glass front as well, but seems to be considered part of it.

http://www.youtube.com/v/X1z0pw2VK7M

Touchscreen laptop Other OS

Jul 20, 2007 4:33 PM in response to mms1648

Well today has pretty much been the worst day of my
life. I have a beautiful $600 iPhone that slipped
out of my hands today while taking it out of my house
for the first time (of course, only my luck) and it
cracked the glass into many pieces (that are still
intact within the phone). If anyone has any idea
what I can do, I've had it not even a week and was
literally on my way to buy a case and this happened,
I would appreciate some help.

The WORST day in your life? Wow - it's only a PHONE and it's only $. Suggest some perspective here - you didn't lose a child or a spouse or an arm... This is a problem that ultimately is solv-a-ble.

Do you have a RENTER'S insurance or HOMEOWNER'S insurance policy? See if it will cover this. Otherwise, get it fixed or get the new phone and chalk it up to a lesson well learned and call your renter's or homeowner's insurance company and purchase for $30 or so the rider/floater policy many of the providers are offering specifically for insuring the iPhone...

...and be grateful it was just a machine that broke and not someone or some part of you that is truly irreplaceable.

Cracked iPhone Glass!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.