Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro and Motu 2408

Currently having several issues:

Mac Pro Quad 3GHZ 9GB RAM
Logic Pro 7.2.3
OSX 10.4.9

--- Audio appears to go to sleep after 10 minutes of non-use. Half the time loading a blank channel strip on any track (or a full one for that matter) will wake up the audio card, the other half of the time a full computer restart is required.

--- Logic Pro will crash when attempting to "Save As..."

--- Logic Pro will crash for no apparent reason, and frequently.

Types of plugins used (with all currently available updates):
NI Komplete 4
Ivory 1.5
EXS24
Chris Hein Guitars
Vienna Instruments

I have contacted MOTU and they claim that their drivers work perfectly well with 10.4.9 and 10.4.10.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

MacPro, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Aug 22, 2007 9:11 AM

17 replies

Aug 22, 2007 10:16 AM in response to Mike Simon

Hi
I have 2 2408s and an 828. The 2408s are plugged into a PCI 424e card. Which 2408 do you have, mk1, 2, or 3?
Have you tried plugging the 2408 into another PCI port. There should be 4 ports to choose from. Also try moving your PCI card to a different slot in the computer.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but just to cover all bases, you do have a PCI 424 card? I hope you haven't plugged it into the Firewire bus.

Finally did you upgrade the PCI card to the appropriate type for your computer. For the Mc Pro Quad it should be a PCI 424e, though I don't think the wrong type will even fit into your PCI slot.

Aug 22, 2007 10:18 AM in response to Mike Simon

Hi
I have 2 2408s and an 828. The 2408s are plugged into a PCI 424e card. Which 2408 do you have, mk1, 2, or 3?
Have you tried plugging the 2408 into another PCI port. There should be 4 ports to choose from. Also try moving your PCI card to a different slot in the computer.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but just to cover all bases, you do have a PCI 424 card? I hope you haven't plugged it into the Firewire bus.

Finally did you upgrade the PCI card to the appropriate type for your computer. For the Mc Pro Quad it should be a PCI 424e, though I don't think the wrong type will even fit into your PCI slot.

Aug 22, 2007 1:00 PM in response to KOROS

Koros,

Yes I have the PCIe-424 card, and the 2408mkIII is not (good lord) plugged into a firewire port on the MacPro. It's all connected properly.

I have not tried using one of the four connection ports on the 424 card, nor have I tried a different PCI slot on the MacPro. I haven't done this because my issue seems to be more software related. But if I don't get any other replies I guess I'll have to yank out the box and switch some things around.

Thanks.

Aug 26, 2007 2:04 PM in response to Mike Simon

Have you launched MOTU PCI Audio Setup application? Here you set the sample rate interface configuration, Analog/ADAT/and enable/disable channels. (also you can edit channel names).

I know your initial question was about crashing, but if this is not set up correctly it might be an issue, moreover, if you don't have that utility installed, communications between the computer and the 2408 might be confused.

Aug 28, 2007 1:57 AM in response to Mike Simon

Do these crashes occur on almost blank sessions or only when you have a lot of plugins in use? If it only happens with lots of plugins I would open your activity monitor (applications>utilities>activity monitor) and check you system usage. It may be logic's memory handling is the issue. Have a look if the real memory usage is listed as being 16TB. This is a known issue with logic when its RAM usage exceeds 2GB. Installing the Pro App upgrade can help, else just freeze a few tracks til the usage drops to a sensible number.

Are you getting an error report from these logic crashes? If so I would suggest you post a copy of the crashed thread here to help diagnose the problem. I have not experience any similar problems with the 2408 despite the fact my system is virtually identical. Although I did get a lot of crashes from Ivory until I installed the 1.63 update, and have had the system become very unstable when more than 2GB memory is in use.

Aug 28, 2007 2:30 AM in response to Mike Simon

And I thought it was just me having problems with MOTU and Mac Pro! I have 3 2408's Mk3 and a 24i/o and when I use them outside of Logic, eg: for just playing around on my Gem piano, when the the screen goes to sleep I lose all audio. It doesn't happen all of the time, but most of the time. It's very puzzling and irritating, but for me, not confined to just 10.4.9. It has always happened on my Mac Pro, but NEVER on my other Macs, including a Quad G5. Sometimes it gets so bad, the MOTU's lose contact completely with the Mac and I have to reboot.

Message was edited by: moebius7

Message was edited by: moebius7

Aug 28, 2007 4:46 AM in response to Community User

And I thought it was just me having problems with MOTU and Mac Pro! I have 3 2408's Mk3 and a 24i/o and when I use them outside of Logic, eg: for just playing around on my Gem piano, when the the screen goes to sleep I lose all audio. It doesn't happen all of the time, but most of the time. It's very puzzling and irritating, but for me, not confined to just 10.4.9. It has always happened on my Mac Pro, but NEVER on my other Macs, including a Quad G5. Sometimes it gets so bad, the MOTU's lose contact completely with the Mac and I have to reboot.

Hi,

I recommend you TURN OFF YOUR SCREENSAVERS!!! and then also make sure your energy saver preference s are set to "never", and also, that the "Put the Hard disks to sleep when possible" is ALSO turned off.

Nothing like your computer dozing off in the middle of a creative moment. Unless you're into that kind of thing.

Cheers

Aug 28, 2007 5:06 AM in response to noeqplease

Ok, I'll certainly give it a try, and I expect it might fix it, but it doesn't explain why the problem seems to be confined to the Mac Pro. Thanks for the advice, zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....;-)

Aug 28, 2007 9:46 AM in response to Community User

Hi moebius,

Definitely try it. I have been running Pro Tools and Logic for over 10 years, and ever since back then I was told by my wise guru / mentor to only let the machine sleep when it dies. Truly wise words.

I do turn my machine off at night so it can sleep properly.

Cheers

PS as to why it only happens on the Mac Pro... maybe ask Motu this, they might know...

Mac Pro and Motu 2408

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.