Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"The device timed out"

I can't sync this iPod anymore. After 5 or so songs I keep getting a message that says "The iPod cannot be synced. The device timed out". Things I have tried:

- Every USB port on my computer
- Rebooting
- Restarting itunes
- Screaming
- The cable from my 5G and the one that came with it
- Updating the drivers for Apple Mobile Device USB Driver
- Searching this forum. That's where I got these ideas from but most of the questions seemed unanswered.

Anything else I should try?

Windows XP

Posted on Sep 15, 2007 10:20 PM

20 replies

Sep 17, 2007 4:59 AM in response to viseno

Happened to me a lot yesterday. "Device Time out" message. I unplugged the iPod and plugged again. Sometimes with luck, sometimes I had to do it again... It's finally done. (after a while.... it took forever!!!!) DVD quality movies won't sync. Even that they sync to my apple TV... I think I may have a problem with my USB 2.0 PCI card. I'm running a g4 with 10.4.10 so I guess it will be fixed when I move to an imac later this fall.

Sep 17, 2007 5:15 AM in response to Joel Pirela

I used to have a problem syncing my iPod video to my old G4 tower -- to the point where I exchanged the iPod for a new one at the Apple Store. However, the problem was with the USB 2.0 card. It had an incompatible chipset. Make sure your card has an NEC chip on it... I opted for a Belkin since the packaging was see-through and I could clearly read "NEC" on the chips. Everything synced fine after using the new card.

Sep 27, 2007 12:39 PM in response to viseno

This is my third iPod (3rd Gen, 1st Gen Nano, and now a Touch) and I've never had a sync issue before owning the Touch on any of my computers (I have three - 1 OS X, 2 Windows machines).

Mine kept repeatedly giving me "The iPod cannot be synced. The device timed out" on both of my Windows machines after about 5 songs - 10 if I was lucky. Forget about syncing a movie.

I was able to "solve" my problem by using an externally powered USB hub. I believe that the issue stemmed from my built-in USB ports not putting out enough power to operate with the Touch. After using a USB 2.0 hub that had an AC power adapter hooked up externally... the Touch now synchronizes like a champ on all my computers. You might want to also try disconnecting any USB devices that are hooked up that draw a lot of power. Not sure if this will help anyone... but it worked for me so I wanted to share (this was driving me nuts!). The touch is too cool a device to buy and not be able to fully enjoy.

"The device timed out"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.