Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Album Art mismatched

I transfered my music and artwork onto the ipod touch, but I've found that much of the album artwork does not match the album it's on. For example, in Coverflow my Bruce Springsteen album art shows up for my Dispatch album.
I've checked my itunes library, but the album artwork is correct on that.

Does anyone know what's wrong?

Macbook, 3rd Gen iPod, Nano, Touch, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Sep 17, 2007 12:34 PM

22 replies

Sep 17, 2007 12:39 PM in response to JThmpsn

If your iPod is set to update automatically you could give give this a try. It usually sorts out wrong artwork problems on the other iPods and may work on the Touch:
1. Connect your iPod
2. Disable "Display album artwork" in iPod>Music tab and click Apply.
3. Syncronise the iPod with iTunes.
4. Re-enable "Display album artwork" in iPod>Music tab and click Apply.
5. Syncronise the iPod again.

Sep 19, 2007 3:03 AM in response to JThmpsn

I too was having random nis matched album art on my Touch and I have found the cause and solution at least for my scenario. I started noticing that the albums where the Touch was mis matching album art, had lower resolution images in ITunes for that album art. As soon as I replaced with a higher res image (say 500x500) It shows fine on the Touch after a simple sync.

I even had the issue on a track purchased from the Wi Fi store. Initially it looked fine, but after syncing it became a mis-match. I went to I Tunes, deleted album art for that track, then chose find artwork, and now it syncs up fine on the Touch. I can only assume that there may be some resolution issue when downloading from ITunes store as well but not sure on that one.

All I know is, that replacing with newer images workded for me.

Sep 30, 2007 1:49 AM in response to JThmpsn

I'm seeing the same thing, but only after a large (e.g., couple gigabytes transferred) sync. The suggestions below about tagging, compilations and similar-seeming albums seem useful (the biggest offender seems to be "Various Artists" albums -- I've seen the cover art from a compilation of classical recordings show on a film soundtrack, for example), but so far I haven't been able to get it quite right; the only thing that's consistently worked for me is to wipe all the music off the iPod touch and re-sync it.

Nov 3, 2007 7:06 PM in response to JThmpsn

I've seen the same thing (along with artwork that is simply missing on the iPod but present in iTunes). There doesn't seem to be any discernible pattern to this; re-syncing from scratch fixes it for a while, but it eventually gets screwed up again. I think the album art cache/db/index/store whatever it is is just prone to corruption. I saw the comments about resolution, but I don't think that's it: I have missing art that is above that resolution. I also saw the comment about same album names for different artists but that is not what I'm seeing (for example, I see the Elvis Costello cover for "Punch the Clock" for a song from The Ramones "Loco Live").

I think we're just going to have to wait for a software update for this to get fixed.

Dec 4, 2007 5:37 AM in response to Max Willner

Downloading the cover art, snazzy though it might be, only makes a huge mess. The "artist" data from the cover art database seems to take over and the ipod ignores the other artist data in itunes. I first deleted all of the cover art, but that didn't fix it. I then tried the idea suggested above of checking "no" for "Compilation" and that seems to have fixed it. This really needs to get fixed with a patch...

Album Art mismatched

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.