Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

An invalid ENTRYID was passed in.

I set up my IPhone and had an issue with syncing. I uninstalled Outlook and reinstalled and then the syncing worked. Now if I create a contact on the phone and sync it to my computer, the contact shows up but if I try to open it I get this message. "The Properties dialog box could not be displayed. An invalid ENTRYID was passed in." I found a KB artical from microsoft that said to remove the Outlook address book and re add it. I tried that and no change. Anybody know how to correct this?

Windows XP Pro

Posted on Sep 26, 2007 6:50 AM

19 replies

Dec 3, 2007 10:50 AM in response to Johnstone

I had this problem too. Here's what I had to do:

1. Right click on the contact in the contacts folder and choose "Send Full Contact" / "In Internet Format (vCard)"

2. This will bring up an E-mail message. Drag and drop the vcard from the attachments to your desktop. Close the E-mail message.

3. Delete the contact from your contacts.

4. Repeat steps 1-3 for all contacts which are bad.

5. Shut down outlook.

6. Bring outlook back up again.

7. Drag and drop all of the vCards you saved on your desktop into the contacts folder.

8. Shut down outlook and bring it back up again.

Everything should be okay now.

Very frustrating! I know. I'm wondering if there is a syncing issue between the iPhone and Outlook. It seems that many of my problem contacts came originally from the iPhone - but not all? So I haven't figured out the pattern yet.

Good luck with this.
Paul

Feb 5, 2008 12:57 PM in response to Johnstone

I'm having the same problem syncing with an iPod Touch, which I suspect uses the same software. I ended up here because there are no posts in the iPod Touch topic about this Outlook error.

I just now traced it to a specific Outlook Contacts e-mail field - "Display as." It only happens when a contact was created or edited on the iPod Touch then synchronized back to Outlook.

The following fixes the problem:

1. Open the contact in Outlook

2. Delete everything in the "Display as" field (appears just under the E-mail field)

3. Select any other field on the form. The "Display as" field auto-fills again.

4. If needed, edit the "Display as" auto-fill.

5. Save the contact.

So far that's fixed the problem on all corrupted contacts.

If I get any time soon I may write a little application that looks at the dataset behind each Outlook contact before and after a sync to see if I can find why this happens... but just started the house selling/new house buying process so time is short!

Feb 5, 2008 8:28 PM in response to Maironad

I had to do a bit different workaround, but your post really helped...

I was getting the same invalid ENTRYID error when accessing my contacts in Outlook 2007 through "Address Book", but I didn't have a problem if I opened them from within the "Contacts" view. All the problems seem to be with the contacts added from my iPhone, and I just assumed it was a mismatch of fields (what I mean is, fields on my phone are in a different place than in my Contacts.)

Also, in my address book I had what looked like a bunch of empty contacts at the top of the list - and those turned out to be business phone numbers (that I had entered on my iPhone) that did not have a person associated with them. I had put the name under the "Company" field and left First and Last Name blank. Apparently that freaked out Outlook...

This is what I did to "fix" it (and so far it works) - and remember, I couldn't access these contacts through "Address Book". This was all done through my Contacts view.

(1) I Opened each contact and changed the "File As" field to show First/Last (rather than Last Name/First).

(2) Clicked on the button "Full Name", then clicked okay to close that window

(3) Click Save-&-Close

If I didn't click on the "Full Name" button, it didn't change the name order when I saved the contact - even if I re-typed it.

So I think going into the "Full Name" window somehow forces the change you made to First/Last name order, and somehow this fixed all my problems.

You may need to close Outlook and re-open it before testing the changes. I did it before testing because I figured it was necessary, but it may not be.

I know I don't sound very tech-savvy, and I probably used elementary terms, but this worked for me - and this is AFTER trying the export/re-import of the address book route (which didn't work, by the way.)

Feb 6, 2008 7:26 AM in response to jcbfergie

I should have specified that I did this on my work laptop, which is WinXP and Outlook 2003. Haven't tried on my home computer yet, which is Vista and Outlook 2007. Outlook 2007 mileage obviously varies, but it looks like similar tricks work! Either way, the "File as" field is an indexed field and I'll bet "Display as" is, too. Syncing through iTunes may be corrupting or failing to update the index entry for contacts created/edited on the iPhone or iPod Touch. Erasing these entries and recreating them in Outlook forces an index update.

That's my theory of the day, at least

Feb 6, 2008 7:35 AM in response to Maironad

I've noticed a problem with contacts created on the iPhone on occasion. I THINK it's only been since 1.1.3, but that could be coincidence. The small amount of experimentation I've done says the if you create an entry on the iPhone that does not have a first and last name (e.g., company name only) the contact gets inserted into the Outlook without a File As field, and later Outlook chokes on this record and syncing stops working until the record is fixed.

Feb 6, 2008 10:33 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Sounds like more anecdotal evidence that the syncing is creating index problems within Outlook. Probably not coincidence that I've got iPod Touch firmware 1.1.3. IIRC, an iTunes update was released at the same time as that firmware update, and I installed both at the same time. Wonder if the problem is in the firmware or in the iTunes syncing process. Hmmmmm...

I've never been a heavy iTunes or iPod user until I got the Touch for Christmas and decided to try it out as a PDA since my old Palm was getting flaky. I have no idea how the software/firmware relationship is architected. I do know how to look under the hood in Outlook and pick most of the data structure apart - just need the time. Anyone know how to pull free time out of a hat? 😉

Feb 25, 2008 3:49 PM in response to Maironad

I'm having the same issue. Your "fix" seems to be the only one of those read in this thread that is working so far -- deleting the "Display As" entries. But, it's not working if I don't have an email address listed for someone and I really hate the idea of having to do this for each contact because I have MANY - using for personal, work & rental property management. Is there something easier? Will I have to do this every time I sync?

I'm new to iPhone and not good at "tweaking" files, etc. to work properly, so I'll need the Dummies Guide to making things right again. I'm no IT tech.

Also, I tried the import out/export in but wasn't sure what type of file to create and now I can't delete the file I saved to the desktop because it says that Outlook is open when it wasn't. How can I delete that exported file?

Thanks for your help!

Feb 25, 2008 3:57 PM in response to amacp

There are 2 parts to Outlook, the user interface and the background service. When you close Outlook the Service continues to run for a while. You can wait for it to stop (about 10 minutes should do it) or take matters into your own hands and kill it. To kill the service open Task Manager (CTRL SHIFTESC or right click on the task bar and choose Task Manager), click the Processes tab, click the top of the Image Name column to sort it, scroll down to the O's. Click on Outlook, then the End Process button. You should then be able to delete the file.

For Input/Output create a Comma Separated Values-Windows (CSV) file for the Export, then Import that file.

Mar 25, 2008 11:43 AM in response to mjrose916

That's true, but still the problem is there... i HAVE to edit any contact I create/modify on the iPhone to be able to use the associated e-mail adress in Outlook 2007 or the wrong ENTRYID bug make this happens again and again.

Is there any way to solve that or is it totally linked to iTunes and sync system ?

Maybe we will have to wait for ActiveSync support with 2.0 firmware to have a solution to this problem ?

An invalid ENTRYID was passed in.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.