Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can I receive but not send messages through Mail?

I recently installed a wireless router (linksys). I can send mail at the local coffee shop, yet here at home I can't. I know it's something very simple, but I'm giving up...and asking for help in fear of tweaking the settings beyond my knowledge. I get a popup that tells me I can't use the listed server for outgoing mail. I have a couple choices...1) lynksys 2)stmp.mac.com:tugboater.
I wish I could get it set up...Its annoying to have to use mt yahoo address.
Heelllppp!

Power Book G4, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Sep 29, 2007 7:32 AM

34 replies

Sep 29, 2007 8:40 AM in response to tugboater

No trick, but more a matter of specialization. Port 587 must be used with a properly Authenticated SMTP, and most ISP allow you to present authenticated, third party SMTP on Port 587, whereas Port 25 is more of a catch-all and in some cases does not require authentication. Other ports frequently seen include Port 465 when using SSL.

Cable ISPs in particular may allow Port 25 without separate Authentication when you are at the venue where they serve you, since they trust you based upon seeing the IP address of the modem you are using.

Ernie

Sep 29, 2007 5:08 PM in response to tugboater

Bought a used Macbook for my wife. Using an Apple USB modem, we can connect to the internet, but cannot send email using MAIL. The port is 587. The error message is -- No PPPoE server has been found for the specific service. Delete the service name option & try again---. Our ISP says the compouter thinks we are trying to connect thru DSL, but offered no more assistance. What changes do we need to make? TNX

Sep 29, 2007 6:31 PM in response to tugboater

The Apple USB modem is being used for dial-up. I have no experience with DSL, but am surprised a USB modem would be used to connect to it. This Macbook does connect to wireless, but this was b4 I added the ISP info, so I don't know its' connectivity with Mail and its' functions.

I'm an Apple newbie, but have 25 years plus of experience with PC. Fed up with spam, I bought the Mac as a test as to its' anti-spam abilities. My wife hates Spam, but just this week bought a can of that 1930's invention, promising a wonderful dinner thanks to a NEW recipe. Hope springs eternal...........TNX

Sep 30, 2007 3:45 AM in response to pickspop

Sorry, I had never recognized there was no internal on the MacBook, even though my adult daughter has one, I have only seen it connected via wireless. However, that was a question aside of the issue.

Please confirm for me that this is in regard to using the smtp.mac.com as Outgoing Server? If using the SMTP provided by your ISP, have you tried using Port 25 and authentication of None?

Ernie

Sep 30, 2007 2:43 PM in response to tugboater

I verified authentication was none. The port was 587, so I changed it to 25. No connection. I then found under advanced a port of 110, so I changed it to 25. No connection.

Went to the library, and connected on wireless, but still could not send nor receive on MAIL. Checked the Connection Doctor, and it said pop account, could not connect. Smtp.surfbest.net account, connection OK.

So I returned home, can't send or receive using dial-up. Connection Doc say both accounts won't connect thru dial-up.

Oct 1, 2007 8:19 AM in response to tugboater

Ernie, TNX for your persistence!

Changed incoming port back to 110. I found I DID receive a message sent via wireless, but wireless still won't receive. I just sent another help message to machelp@surfbest.net. Their support page: www.surfbest.net/technical/config.htm#macosx
The only thing they suggested I did not do was to verify itools account is not checked; I can't locate it.

Regards, Pickspop
p.s. Both the current Macbook and Macbook Pro do not have a modem; don't know if they just didn't have room, or.......

Oct 1, 2007 8:48 AM in response to pickspop

Thanks for the link to their support.

In entering the settings for the Outgoing Server, it would appear from what I can read, that you should use Port 25, choose Password Authentication, and then enter your entire email address as the Username entry, in the form of xxxx@surfbest.net -- have you been doing this?

In the Outgoing Server section of Mail Preferences/Accounts/Account Information/Outgoing Server, click on the arrows beside the current SMTP name and choose Edit Server List. Remove all current entries for SMTP, and re-enter as above.

Keep me posted.

Ernie

Oct 1, 2007 11:50 AM in response to tugboater

Help! I have read through this string, but not found an answer. I too, can receive emails but not send them. The problem started last week - I've been successfully using my mail account for 2 years and then last week, stuff I send just disappears - no error messages. I didn't change any settings or do any updates. All sent messages show in my "sent" folder, as well. I have tried everything, including restoring my hard drive from a backup copy made before I was having difficulty.

I used suggestions in the online help, including using the "ping" function to see if I was communicating with my outgoing mail server. Trying to ping mail.mac.com I get the error message:

"PING mail.mac.com (17.250.248.152): 56 data bytes

--- mail.mac.com ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

I am using mail and .mac mail through a cable DSL line and Airport wireless connection.

I tried changing my outgoing port to 110 and to 25 without help.

Any thoughts?

Oct 1, 2007 12:06 PM in response to AndyAustin

Andy,

Welcome to the Discussions.

First of all, the .mac servers do not respond to pinging, so don't let that worry you!

Secondly, if your .mac account is set as Account Type .mac in Mail Preferences, then the Port for the Incoming server should be 143 if not using SSL. On the Outgoing Server, if your ISP were to now be blocking Port 25 for use with any third party SMTP, you should use the smtp.mac.com on Port 587.

More info, please.

Ernie

Oct 1, 2007 12:23 PM in response to Ernie Stamper

Thanks for the quick reply.

Account type is .Mac
My incoming server is mail.mac.com

My outgoing server is smtp.mac.com:andyaustin
Server port: 587
SSL is not selected
Authentication is set to password

I tried changing the port to 25, 110 without success

I also repaired the disc volume and deleted the mail envelope index file from my Library, forcing Mail to rebuild it.

Any ideas?

thnx.

Why can I receive but not send messages through Mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.