Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photoshop 7.0 and Leopard OS X 10.5

I installed OS X Leopard 10.5 today and now I can't open my Photoshop. The error reads "An unexpected and unrecoverable problem has occurred because of a program error. Photoshop will now exit."

I reinstalled Photoshop. Same thing happened when I tried opening it again. So far this is the only program I can't open. HELP

G5 & G4 Laptop, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Oct 27, 2007 7:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2007 8:23 PM

Unfortunately according to Adobe who states "Likely to encounter issues for which there is
no resolution" in regards to Photoshop 7, I don't there is any help to resolve the issue.

http://www.adobe.com/support/products/pdfs/leopardsupport.pdf
25 replies

Oct 28, 2007 6:18 AM in response to Anthony Donnelly

OK, let me get this right. You are saying that the photoshop 7 is NEVER going to work now with 10.5?
The only alternative is to buy newest version of photoshop?
That seems a little crazy. I think Apple is coming out with new products a little to fast and not warning the public before they buy it. Not good. This is now going to cost me $700 to stay working.

Dec 4, 2007 11:40 AM in response to Wgeckster

You're being unfair. Adobe supports their product in the environment it
was designed to run under. They have upgraded the product to run under
your much newer environment and you can buy it and get support. You're
reluctant to spend the money, but why do you think the company should do
all the work for free? You changed the operating environment against
their advice.

Dec 4, 2007 1:30 PM in response to direwolf8

Aw my friend, You may have misunderstood or I may have misspoke, I was not upset at Adobe, I was upset at MAC for not making us aware of it before we purchased Leopard. I fully understand that there are thousands of programs MAC would have to consider but think about it. MAC is the "creative" persons platform. Photoshop is one of the most used programs by us creative MACHEADS. In any case, its done and now that I have CS3, I'm happy I spent the money. The upgrades in this program are wonderful!

Be Blessed and have a great day.

Dec 5, 2007 1:45 PM in response to dhmagfilms7

This is a serious disappointment and the result of misleading information. There is absolutely no indication that this would happen. Amongst all of the hype, advertising and claims that leopard is an improvement, the reality is quite the contrary--- If my programs won't work on leopard, how can this be a helpful update? It is not unfair, as a previous poster indicated, to expect that operating system "10 point whatever" would not run programs designed to operate on operating systems specified as OS 10.

This change and the expectation that those of us who have shelled out for the update should spend hundreds more on new programs to match can be summed up in one word: DISRESPECTFUL!

Dec 5, 2007 2:10 PM in response to dhmagfilms7

I could NOT disagree more! When you buy a piece of software as pricy as Photoshop it should be supported FULLY for at least 5 years after it is replaced. It was initially released in 2002 but was the current product until October 31 2003. Little more than 4 years ago.
Apple provided Adobe with the information on Leopard and Adobe had updates for ONLY current products. This was NOT for Apple to find and inform people is is Adobe's disregard for me and their desire to get into my wallet. I don't need any of the FEW new features of Photoshop and software barely over 4 years old should not be in the F you if you still use it list. If Adobe does not make a patch I have bought my LAST adobe product. Photoshop 7 was not some $250.00 product, it was expensive. I think long and hard about who gets my hard earned money.
Adobe, this is no way to treat a customer!

Dec 7, 2007 2:10 AM in response to dhmagfilms7

If you crack open photoshop.app you'll see a lot of classic components. PS7 was designed to work under OS 9 and OS X natively. I think PS7 died because apple removed classic support from OS X, more specifically system files that PS7 calls on are no longer there, at least that is my guess. Adobe would need to overhaul PH7 with some sort of service pack to make it work. I don't like it anymore than you do, I still prefer PS7 to the current CS3. but I doubt adobe will update PS7. In the mean time, Adobe does provide a fully functional 30day trial.

Dec 7, 2007 5:51 AM in response to dhmagfilms7

dhmagfilms7 wrote:
According to the Adobe document, only CS3 is good with Leopard.

In an article I found on the Adobe forum, CS2 works with Leopard. There is a problem with the Web Photo Gallery but they have a fix. So they must be supporting CS2 with Leopard. But I would be cautious because they are saying that they are not supporting it. Do you believe their words or their actions?

Photoshop 7.0 and Leopard OS X 10.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.