Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

gloves?

1930 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Dec 9, 2007 9:07 AM by LeoC2 RSS
1 2 Previous Next
michandbett Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Nov 30, 2007 2:34 PM
Has anyone had any experience yet with using gloves and the iphone? I can't seem to find a way around this. Do I really have to take off my winter gloves to use my iphone when it is freezing outside?
Thanks
imac, Mac OS X (10.5.1), iphone
  • Nathan C Level 5 Level 5 (6,260 points)
    Nov 30, 2007 2:37 PM (in response to michandbett)
    michandbett,

If it is freezing outside, you may want to find shelter before using the screen because when it is that cold it could be below the recommended operating temperature range. More information on the operating specifications can be found here:
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html

I have used it in the Sierra's which don't have much snow yet by keeping it in my coats inside pocket, and answering calls with the included headset.

Hope this helps,

Nathan C.
    iMac G5 (work), Mac OS X (10.5.1), Home Built Athlon XP 2300+ 1 GB DDR XP Home SP2
  • b_behringer Level 4 Level 4 (1,910 points)
    Nov 30, 2007 2:39 PM (in response to michandbett)
    The iPhone uses electronegativity. Notice that if you were to get something besides your fingers and try to move/touch the screen nothing would happen.

So unfortunately, for the winter birds, if the electronegativity is interfered with then it will not work (gloves can do this obviously).
    Windows XP, iPhone iPod Nano Apple Bluetooth Headset
  • Goshia Level 4 Level 4 (1,400 points)
    Nov 30, 2007 2:47 PM (in response to michandbett)
    The touch screen is a capacitive circuit that measures your skin resistance and determines your touch location in a grid formation. If you are using gloves on the touch screen the resistance of the glove is much different than your skin resistance and the software will not recognize it’s no different that your cotton pants pocket. It would be a real drag if your pants started making calls because of the touch screen.
    MacBookPro(2x) and iMac 20" iPhone 8G, Mac OS X (10.5)
    Nov 30, 2007 2:50 PM (in response to Goshia)
    Not sure this is completely true. I have used my shirt lightly to touch the screen and nothing. Nothing effects the screen unless there is a finger behind it and it is very thin.

I would like to know though so to get my facts straight. I have been bored at work and have tried many things but only the touch my finger seems to work.
  • Goshia Level 4 Level 4 (1,400 points)
    Nov 30, 2007 2:57 PM (in response to b_behringer)
    Thats correct only your skin will work. If you have an ohm meter you can use measure your skin resistance. It will be in the 5-20 Mega ohms generaly. And if you measure your shirt it will be well above 200 mega ohms, so the phone screen won't respond.
    MacBookPro(2x) and iMac 20" iPhone 8G, Mac OS X (10.5)
    Nov 30, 2007 3:04 PM (in response to Goshia)
    http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/iphone1.htm

Scratch that. I am confused lol

Anyway this site seems to tell a lot.

Message was edited by: b_behringer
  • deggie Level 8 Level 8 (44,840 points)
    Nov 30, 2007 3:04 PM (in response to michandbett)
    MacProl Dual Core 2.66 Ghz, Powerbook G4 15", Mac OS X (10.5), AEXs, Red 2G Nano, Red Shuffle, 16GB Touch, 160 GB Classic, White 60GB 5G
  • sammycl99 Level 1 Level 1 (25 points)
    Dec 2, 2007 8:42 AM (in response to deggie)
    Its not clear that these Tavo gloves do the trick for the iPhone. I think they will not work. (What you need is a little hole in your index finger.. there you go... cut out a hole!).

-
    iPhone | <edited by host>
    Dec 1, 2007 4:07 PM (in response to Goshia)
    After a lot of research I have found that it is not the touch it is actually the (electricity) between your finger and the phone that does the sensing for touch.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/iphone2.htm
  • BlingMe Level 2 Level 2 (370 points)
    Dec 1, 2007 8:51 PM (in response to deggie)
    deggie....

Those gloves look pretty neat! Do you have them...and if so, do they work?
    Toshiba Satellite, Windows Vista, Happy 8GB iPhone owner! =)
  • deggie Level 8 Level 8 (44,840 points)
    Dec 2, 2007 1:32 PM (in response to BlingMe)
    No I don't, which is why I asked if they had tried them.
    MacProl Dual Core 2.66 Ghz, Powerbook G4 15", Mac OS X (10.5), AEXs, Red 2G Nano, Red Shuffle, 16GB Touch, 160 GB Classic, White 60GB 5G
  • Jim VanLeeuwen Level 6 Level 6 (18,820 points)
    Dec 6, 2007 5:33 PM (in response to michandbett)
    I like the nose suggestion: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1276393&tstart=195

Takes some practice though.
    24" iMac 2.8GHz Intel Core Duo, Mac OS X (10.5.1), iPhone - 6 iPods
  • Randy Fast Level 4 Level 4 (1,415 points)
    Dec 6, 2007 5:54 PM (in response to michandbett)
    The iphone can be operated when wearing latex or nitrile gloves just putting it out there.
    Dell Inspiron 8500 (XP Pro), Dell Vostro 1400 (Vista), Windows XP Pro, iPhone 8GB, iPod video 60GB
1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.