Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Afp client / software for Windows?

Ive come to the realize that i will never get USB HDD to share over the net with Windows using port 137-139 b/c its blocked by almost all ISP's for residential service... so the only way to access the drive is with AFP software. I have searched online but didn't find any. Is there any simple programs like cuteFTP or absolute FTP that will do AFP for windows?

Thanks

Windows XP Pro, none of ur business

Posted on Jan 4, 2008 12:07 AM

4 replies

Jan 17, 2008 7:32 AM in response to jetspeedz

If you're willing to use a program like CuteFTP, why not enable remote login on your Mac, and use WinSCP?

Alternatively, just use CuteFTP with FTP access enabled on your Mac.

Both those options are under "Sharing" in System Preferences, I think.

--

If your problem is the other way around, and you're trying to access a windows machine, there's a free piece of software called slimftpd ( http://www.whitsoftdev.com/slimftpd/) that you could use to enable FTP access to your machine.

Use a strong password though, for all these options!

Message was edited by: Drarok

Jan 17, 2008 2:16 PM in response to Drarok

You missing the point...

The whole reason for connecting a usb hdd to this router is to use it as a NAS and not have to leave a computer/server on all day and night to access information across the WAN over the net...

file sharing on windows is blocked simple as that. AFP works but its only used by MAC and there is only one company out there that makes an afp client for windows but the program is huge and not effective for what its purpose is...

you can't ftp into the AEBSn and access the files on the usb share.. if that was allowed then problem solved but the friendly software engineers cripple users from making any port changes unlike other routers... shame... last apple product im every buying and this one was a mistake...

Afp client / software for Windows?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.