Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No connection after installing Security Update 2005-007

After installing Security Update 2005-007, I am unable to connect to the internet on my iBook (10.3.9). I installed the same update to my G5 dual and to my wife's Powerbook. Both of them are working fine.

Prior to installation, I ran Disk Utility and repaired permissions. I re-ran it after I was unable to connect. No help. After looking at the discussions, I ran Keychain First Aid. It said everything was fine, BUT the SPBBOD (the beach ball) comes on and Keychain Access freezes when I ask it to show the password for my Airport station (and any other passwords for that matter). I have also tried dumping Safari's cache folder. No help. I would greatly appreciate any help on this.

Posted on Aug 17, 2005 8:49 PM

35 replies

Aug 18, 2005 9:03 AM in response to Michael White1

I managed to get my iBook working. I'm not quite sure what worked, but this (I think) is what I did. Because MANY people have had problems with this update perhaps this will help someone.

As luck would have it, I had been particularly (and unusually) virtuous and had both repaired permissions using DiskUtility and had backed up my iBook prior to the installation. So, after nothing else had worked (deleting Safari caches, etc.), I restored my Safari settings, Keychain, & Preference files. No help at this point.

I restarted the computer. No help and my Airport icon did not show in the Menu bar. I reran DiskUtility to repair permissions. Still no help. I restarted the computer. Then, I had a grayed out Airport signal icon.

I then went to System Preferences and opened Network. I had to create a "new" (using a new name for the same Airport network) network to join. I clicked Assist Me to do this. Good luck.

Aug 18, 2005 10:38 AM in response to Michael White1

I am having similar problems on Panther. Things work fine if I connect an ethernet cable (have you tried this?) so it is only wireless. I can detect, and even connect via ssh (about 100 times slower than before) to machines on the local network, but I cannot get out to internet. Many of the symptoms that others are describing, such as Safari and Mail not working are really due to not being able to connect to the internet IMHO, since I have the same symptoms but if I wait long enough (maybe 15 to 20 minutes) they actually send back a timed out message. ntpd cannot resolve time.apple.com, and there are lots of other indicators that it is perhaps a dns related problem. But I can't connect using an ip address either.

Where are the Apple geniuses when you need them on this discussion board?

Aug 18, 2005 2:06 PM in response to Joseph Vaughan

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried connecting directly to the internet at the office through an ethernet cable. No luck.

But, our tech support person reset the PRAM (Something I've done before and should have tried). [Restart holding down: Command-Option-P-R, let cycle through two or more chimes] Then when it restarted, I denied changes to the Keychain. So far it is working like it should. I've been able to access the web through Safari and get my Mail at the office and at home.

Aug 18, 2005 10:15 PM in response to Michael White1

I tried your PRAM suggestion, deleted all keychain references to airport and deleted all network locations to start fresh. Still can get the wireless connection locally, but not out to internet.

The hilarious thing: on another thread on the discussion board I saw a remark to the effect that Apple would not do anything about problems with 10.3.9 as there is "no defined problem", this despite the fact that the discussion board is full of problems that just started after people installed this security update.

Aug 19, 2005 5:29 AM in response to Joseph Vaughan

Sorry it didn't work for you. Although I'm able to get out on the internet wirelessly (this message is written on my iBook), it hasn't been as smooth as yesterday. This morning when the machine woke up, it refused the Keychain items. After re-entering them, it is working. I may not be out of the woods yet.

Surely someone from Apple is reading these. I expect better from them; they usually come through for us.

Aug 19, 2005 10:11 AM in response to Michael White1

<snip>
Surely someone from Apple is reading these...
</snip>

That's my hope too, which is why I keep posting.

I think I now have another crucial piece of evidence: I am writing from a wireless connection at work -- no problems at all.

So the combination that produces the problem is:

1) security upgrade 2005-007 on Panther 10.3.9. (I updated a Tiger laptop last night with no problems at all)

2) Linksys wireless router (using WPA).

3) symptoms like dns not working (can sometimes ping ip addresses, sometimes not, but no response from named addresses). However, everything works fine with the ethernet cable plugged into the same router.

Hopefully, someone will see this and be inspired to respond.

Aug 19, 2005 2:41 PM in response to Joseph Vaughan

Hi,
since I have the same problems, I don't think it is anything with the third party router.
I have a siemens router, a hidden network with WEP and since I installed this security update I don't get a wireless connection at startup with my home network, as I got before. I can 't choose net from my network list, and if i try to create this network again, the internet-connection tool says network already exists.
Deleting key chains didn't help.

I found a workaround for me how i got to the Internet the last three days :

After booting, i choose internet-connection from the airport menu in the menu bar.
There i have to choose "others" in the network pulldown menu.
Now entering the network name and the WEP key and then klicking "connect" brings up my wireless connection.

It is important that all other apps are not running when setting up the connection.

This is a very uncomfortable solution, i hope that i 'don't have to enter my WEP key everytime i boot my computer and apple will provide a better solution to get my connection back automatically as it did before.

And, i will not accept the solution "buy Tiger" for me ....

Hope it helps,

Frank

Aug 21, 2005 7:50 AM in response to Joseph Vaughan

I have a Mac Mini (Panther 10.3.9) & had the same problem. I have yet to find a work around. I can see the wireless router but not the Interent. Internet connection just hangs, I let it try overnight & it was unable to load it. I went to a local store yesterday & spoke with a tech & he said that he hadn't heard anything about it (not too engouraging) and that I could bring it it for them to look at. Unfortunately, I failed to back up before applying the update.

Aug 21, 2005 8:37 AM in response to frank giesche

Hello,

I have a similar problem and have to use the same workaround as Frank Giesche every time I boot up or wake my computer from sleep. And "buy Tiger" is not a solution : I'm using Tiger 10.4.2. It used to work fine before the 10.4.2 upgrade.
Another bit of info : when I open the "Internet-Connection" application, my wireless network appears in the network list. But, if I select it and try to connect, it asks me for a WPA password. I have to choose "other network" and select my network there. Then it opens the same password asking window but I can choose to enter a WEP password (my third party wireless base uses the latter technology).

Aug 21, 2005 9:27 AM in response to Michael White1

Well, not sure about all of the other posts on this... Was experiencing the same problems after installing the SU on my G4 iMac and basically, it wouldn't connect automatically to the Airport network, but would if I manually selected it from the Airport menu.

However, couldn't browse the internet because on closer inspection in the Network Status, it showed it was connected but not being given an IP address via DHCP. When I turned off Airport and then turned it on again I then tried to reconnect. No joy, just spinning beachball...

So, bearing in mind my other mac (PB12") that got updated at around the same time, I remembered when I restarted after installing, the Keychain gave me a message that another version of Airport wanted to decrypt my Keychain, can it have permission? I allowed it on this machine and everything was fine on there. I didn't get this message on my iMac so I guess the issue with all of these machines is something to do with access to the Keychain to get the WEP password.

Is anyone having problems when the network is unprotected...?

So, anyway, I started in single user mode (restart with COMMAND S down) and ran fsck -fy a couple of times. I then reset the PRAM (restart with COMMAND, ALT, P & R down) waited for a couple of chimes and then when the finder appeared, hey presto the 'permission to allow the new version of airport to use the keychain' appeared. Allowed it and now all fixed!

Not sure if this will help anyone else, but like I said, I think it is a WEP password and access to teh keychain problem...

(Perhaps we could get some sort of payment for fixing Apple's problems hey...?)

Good luck everyone...

Best wishes

Steve.

Aug 21, 2005 12:35 PM in response to Steve Levin

I agree, everything points to a problem with the keychain and, as others already said a DHCP Problem which propably results from the first problems mentioned.

Finally i got my connection back on startup.
I am not really sure what really solved the problem, but here is what i did since my last post :

I ran the Yasu tool which you can get on
http://www.jimmitchelldesigns.com/yasu.html
after the first run there where no improvements on the problem.
Then i changed my "surrounding" (sorry, i have a german system) in the network preferences in the following manner :
- turned off every other connections than airport
- in the airport Tab i changed the default connection to "certain network", where i entered my home network and the WEP key

This worked, my airport connection came up on startup.

This afternoon i dared another try, i changed the default connection back to automatic, and ... it works again ?!

Hope everyone else has the same luck,

All the best,

Frank

Aug 21, 2005 2:37 PM in response to Michael White1

I had same problem. Have an Imac g4 and an Imac G5 both hooked wirelessly to airport. After SU both would recognize the airport, but not connect to internet. Looking in network panel under airport, each computer was assigned an incorrect IP. they each had a "regular" IP address as if they were connecting to the internet directly rather than a "local" IP address assigned by the airport station. Sorry if my terminology is incorrect!
Anyway, I chose DHCP and hit apply now and it reassigned the correct local IP address and everything works fine.
Not sure if the problem was from the keychain or not, I do use it, so that could have been the problem.
Hope this helps.

Aug 22, 2005 2:45 AM in response to Michael White1

I have had the same problem on 2 iBooks running 10.3.9 my router is a DLink one, the router supplies IP addresses.

As with everyone else, the airport icon was grayed out, I would click on it and select my network, all bars would be solid but no connection, trying to again select the icon or open Internet Connection would result in a spinning beachball.

Like others I noticed that I did not have any IP address. On one iBook after about 15 minutes a dialog was displayed asking for permission to access the keychain after allowing all was OK.

On the other laptop not amount of restarts and even leaving the spinning beachball overnight did not help. However I then logged out (rather than restart or shutdown) and logged back in which then gave a dialog asking for airport to unlock the keychain.

No connection after installing Security Update 2005-007

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.