Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should i be using ProRes?

I'm working with footage shot with the HVX200 on p2 cards at these specs (as listed by log and transfer):
format: 720p24
shooting rate: 24
Source: DVCPRO HD 720p60
Transcode to: DVCPRO HD 720p60

Remove advanced pull down is unchecked.

When i queue the ftg it comes in at 59.94fps and sequences set with DVCPROHD@59.94 work without any problems. this makes sense.

My final output on this project is SD-DVD and commonly it is an HD out.

I'm curious about apple prores and how to ingest using that compression from footage shot on p2's. As well, i 'm curious about the benefits of using PR over DVCPRO-HD. Any differences on storage requirements/disk speeds?

Will prores compression be less taxing on the processor?

My system is 8-core 3ghz xeon / eSATA 2tb RAID / aja kona3 / 4gb ram.

thanks to all that contribute.

mac pro, 8-core 4gb ram

Posted on Feb 4, 2008 6:31 PM

19 replies

Feb 4, 2008 8:14 PM in response to jv.c

Hi!
I am working with footage shot with AG-HVX 200P on P2 cards but I dont find the transcode option with DVCPRO HD 720p60.... I just find two options in the Preferences in the Log And Transfer Window and they are: Apple ProRes 422 and Apple ProRes 422(HQ)....

I will glad if anybody amongst you can help me out with this....

Thanks,
Kanika

Feb 4, 2008 8:57 PM in response to Shane Ross

Hi Shane,

I will tell you my workflow pattern and then please do guide me for I am new to HD....
I shot videos using AG-HVX 200P in DVCPRO HD 1080i/60i format as well as DVCPRO HD 1080i/24p format...I transfered the files in P2 card by using the camera connected via Firewire to my laptop...In the Log and Transfer Window in FCP, MXF files were converted to MOVs....

I edited these MOVs on timeline with sequence settings : Editing Timebase:24 , Codec: HDV 1080p24 because I want Progressive output and not Interlaced....but when I exported them what I find is that all the movies are in the format 1080i60 and not DVCPRO HD......

Where did I go wrong?

Thanks!

Feb 4, 2008 10:01 PM in response to Shane Ross

I exported the videos on timeline as quicktime movies with current settings and they are all self-contained movies... But when I check the information in the finder then I see that all the videos have DVCPRO HD 1080i60 as the codec and not 1080p30 as I had given in timeline.....

I wish I could show you my screen.....

I read a blog of yours which said that Raylight can convert MXFs to MOVs....But its not for Mac OS x (10.5 version)

Message was edited by: kanika dang

Feb 5, 2008 7:04 AM in response to kanika dang

as i understood it you cannot import MXF files directly into FCP or ingest them. I always thought you needed the full CONTENT/List details to import the footage. I know programs like RAYLIGHT/PC Log allow you to bypass this, but it seems a rather frustating limitation from Apple.

I hope somebody else can shed some light on bringing in MXF files. Is there a plugin to allow this?

Feb 5, 2008 7:39 AM in response to jv.c

as i understood it you cannot import MXF files directly into FCP or ingest them.

Sure can. You can read the MXF files directly if you install RAYLIGHT by DVFilm ($200)...and injest means import, and yes, FCP imports MXF files by putting them into a Quicktime wrapper and copying them to the media drive.

I always thought you needed the full CONTENT/List details to import the footage.

Yes, you do. Why not keep all of that? It would be silly to not keep the file structure of the format you are shooting. It exists for a reason. Why mess with it?

I know programs like RAYLIGHT/PC Log allow you to bypass this, but it seems a rather frustating limitation from Apple.

Sorry, but I find that it is a great FEATURE for Apple to do this. I wouldn't want to edit the MXF files natively. They have odd file names like 0002GHR and 00013RT. That is meaningless to me. I want to be able to look at my footage, name it, and copy it to my media drives. Then I want to take the drive with the MXF files on it and archive it...that is my source tape.

But people have their own workflows. If you want to read MXF natively, then use Raylight...or use Premiere or Edius.

I hope somebody else can shed some light on bringing in MXF files. Is there a plugin to allow this?

You mentioned it once, and I twice thus far. RAYLIGHT. That is your plugin.

Shane

User uploaded file

Feb 5, 2008 7:48 AM in response to kanika dang

OK...I see a whole bunch of weirdness going on. Why are you editing 1080p30 at 24fps. 24 straight up fps. That is not a video frame rate, and not the frame rate that 1080p30 should be. It should be 29.97 fps. And even if you were editing 24p footage, in video that would be 23.98, NOT 24. 24 is film only. The fact that your sequence settings are set to that means that you edited this entirely wrong. Because this was edited wrong, I have no doubt that exporting that would end up in some other wrongness happening.

If you shoot 1080p30, edit 19.97.
If you shoot 1080p24, either edit 29.97, or remove pulldown and edit 23.98
If you shoot 1080p60, then edit 59.94
If you shoot 1080i60, then edit 29.97

If you shoot on FILM, and telecined to tape and want to cut your negative, so you want to produce an accurate CUT LIST, then you reverse telecine to 24fps.

When you shoot a format and you want to edit that format, like DVCPRO HD 1080p30, then you should go into the Easy Setups, choose the DVCPRO HD 1080p30 setup, and then use that.

Sorry, but I don't know how to get out of the mess you are in.

Shane

User uploaded file

Feb 5, 2008 9:06 AM in response to Shane Ross

thanks a lot shane.

I know i listed 2 programs already, but wanted to know if there was a FCP plugin that wasn't additional 200$. Not a big deal. I agree that editing MXF native is not ideal and the value of the log/transfer process.

My question initially came from confusion out of the L&T preferences where "P2 Plugin -> AVC Intra (transcode to Apple ProRes)" is listed.

Should i be using ProRes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.