Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Increase in OTHER space on iPhone after iTunes 7.6.1 upgrade

I downloaded the iTunes 7.6.1 upgrade and after connecting my iPhone I find it has a lot more space used in the OTHER category. I don't think I have very much in mail, SMS, or Notes. Calendars haven't changed but maybe taking up space. It was fine a few days ago (at most) before the upgrade. Any ideas? iPhone v 1.1.3

G5 Dual 2GHz / MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Feb 21, 2008 5:59 PM

18 replies

Feb 21, 2008 6:05 PM in response to David Bourne

How much more is a lot?

This can be caused by music or video not being properly categorized as music or video and the same for photos.

You can try a Restore but besides email, SMS, Notes and calendar events, contact information and photos assigned to contacts is included along with iPhone settings, Safari bookmarks, history, cache and cookies, Maps bookmarks, YouTube bookmarks - all data not included with the sync or data transfer process.

Feb 21, 2008 6:19 PM in response to Allan Sampson

A lot? I had been able to include 3.26 G of music which no longer fit. Previously about 1.5 G free. About the same as now available.

Maybe the Music was mis-categorized into Other?

I was thinking a restore might help but didn't want to do that unless essential. Not sure what is lost with a restore from your list but understand some info would go missing. Not a big problem...

Thanks for the suggestions...

BTW, you are suggesting that this was a problem with older versions of iTunes?

Feb 21, 2008 6:28 PM in response to David Bourne

What was the size of "Other" previously and what is the size now?

Maybe the Music was mis-categorized into Other?

Possible or with video or any photos transferred from your computer to the iPhone.

I was thinking a restore might help but didn't want to do that unless essential. Not sure what is lost with a restore from your list but understand some info would go missing. Not a big problem...

Nothing is lost. When restoring, the options are from your iPhone's backup or as a new iPhone or not from the backup. Choose from the backup. The iPhone is completely erased and 1.1.3 will be re-installed. All iPhone settings and all other data included with "Other" that is not included with the sync or data transfer process with iTunes will be restored, and your iPhone will be re-synced with iTunes.

Be sure to sync your iPhone first before restoring to update your iPhone's backup file if needed.

BTW, you are suggesting that this was a problem with older versions of iTunes?

Nothing of the kind but possible.

Feb 21, 2008 6:38 PM in response to Allan Sampson

I'm not sure what Other was before but probably about 3.2 G less.

I was guessing the Music because of the size but you may be right that it could easily be photo or video

The restore should be fine. I've re-sync'ed a few times trying to turn items on and off without significant effect.

iTunes 7.6.1 is quite new (to me) but your useful reply suggested (to me) that you may have seen this before. I searched for 7.6.1 and didn't see anything like this from the search results for the new version.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I'll probably try a restore later tonight.

Feb 22, 2008 6:02 PM in response to David Bourne

OK, it happened again. After I came home I attached my iPhone to my computer via a powered USB hub. The OTHER region was too large (4.6 G) again. This set-up' didn't recognize my iPhone consistently either.

I connected my iPhone via the front USB port and continued with another restore. I did get a 1602 error again (not sure if it was connected via the hub). A second connection 'stuck' and the restore was completed, re-sync completed OK.

Feb 22, 2008 6:43 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Thanks, that's the direction I'm going but the powered hub has been working with my iPhone since iPhone, day one. Also, the front port isn't really convenient as a long term solution, I'm nervous about bumping the cord...

Could the powered hub be defective?

I have a usb headphone that I have to disconnect/connect before the computer sees it (most of the time) with this hub. The hub is a D-Link 7(?) port.

There is a support note about 1602 error suggesting removing and reinstalling iTunes and AppleMobileServicesSupport (artnum = 306637). I may try that too before any next restore.

Feb 25, 2008 5:19 AM in response to David Bourne

THis is happening to me... The "OTHER" has completely engulfed my music & video sections..and my iphone's name is coming up as "untitled playlist" (the name of it)... I tried Apple's document strategies... but that didn't work and now i have no music! Sweet. I would restore, but it looks like the problem doesn't go away? I'm on 1.1.2 btw.

Feb 25, 2008 6:40 AM in response to David Bourne

First, it isn't a problem with 7.6.1 specifically. On 1.1.3 "Other" will typically be between 150MB and 250MB. This is normal. If it goes much higher than this (in the GB range) it means that a sync was interrupted, and this corrupted the data in the phone. The only solution is a Restore.

A sync interruption can be accidental (removed or jiggled the phone in the dock) or can be the result of a communications problem, such as using USB 1.1 instead of USB 2, using a low power (e.g., keyboard) port, using a hub that cannot supply enough power, a bad dock, or a bad cable.

Increase in OTHER space on iPhone after iTunes 7.6.1 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.