Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dlink DWL-G122 USB Wireless Support?

Hello,

I'm curious about Mac Mini support for the Dlink DWL-G122 USB wireless adapter?

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=334

I just opened up a new Mini yesterday and found that it did not recognize the DWL-G122. I found some references to using a Ralink driver, but then found follow-ups on Google Groups saying that there were a variety of problems with that method.

As a new Mac person (went the iPod to Mini route like I'm sure lots of other people!) I'm not familiar with if comments can be sent to Apple about device support and seriously considered?

Posted on Apr 6, 2005 6:41 AM

21 replies

Apr 6, 2005 6:48 AM in response to Dreadnought

The d-link dwl-120 works with the mac which is b-rated. However, I researched the g122 a while back and based on what I learned it is not mac compatible.

I have the dwl-120 running on 7 machines in my building (3 are macs) and they work great. Actually, we have had less problems with them on the macs then the pc's.

People will tell you they are awful, but we've had nothing but a great experience with them.

Apr 12, 2005 11:59 PM in response to Dreadnought

I just got a D-Link DWL-G120 and a Netgear MA111 off ebay
I only need one of them, and it'll mainly be used on my Windows machine
But i think i'll keep the MA111 coz i know it works in a Mac (just incase i need to take it off the Windows machine and connect it to my Mini) with the DWL-122 drivers.
My network is only 802.11b, so I don't really need the 802.11g dlink adaptor.

Does anyone know if the G120 will work in a Mac?
Coz if so, I'd rather keep that coz it may be of better use in the future, and it looks like it has better range.

Apr 13, 2005 8:20 PM in response to Sam Testa

Sam,

Have you actually tested the Netgear MA111 on your Mac yet? It won't function "off the shelf" with the DWL-122 drivers. However you can hack the DWL driver to get it to play nice with your Mac. I just did this myself today to accomodate a relocation of my cable modem/router to my son's room (he needed to hook his new XBox directly to an ethernet port to play online...) and so I took his "plug and play" MA111 that was connected to his Winblows computer and moved it to my iMac upstairs.

The link to the hack can be found here:

http://binaervarianz.de/projekte/programmieren/kismac/wiki/wiki.php/KisMAC/WiFiH acksMA111

And I was pleasantly surprised to find it actually works! Hope this helps if you run into any problems...

Apr 18, 2005 12:58 PM in response to DLF

I read somewhere recently that the newest dlink drivers work "out of the box" with the netgear adaptor. however hacking of the dlink driver is still required for a 3rd brand's adaptor to work.
Sorry, I can't remember where I read this or the other brand at the moment, but I will search for it in the morning and get back to you.

edit:
found it - http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15997

Apr 18, 2005 3:28 PM in response to fizgig

I think what 1badDuck was referring to was the Ethernet-WiFi bridges commonly used for game consoles. They can be had for anywhere from about $45 (Linksys WET11 b version) up to $125 (Linksys WET54G g version) from eBay and other places. This type of adapter gives you wireless connectivity straight from your ethernet port. I might try one of the 'b' versions (the others are too much money for me).

Dlink DWL-G122 USB Wireless Support?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.