Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail - Send & Receive Problems

I have scoured the forums and tried different suggestions that I have read in order to fix this e-mail problem. I use both .Mac Webmail and Mac OS X Mail program to send and receive email. Two days ago everything was fine and I could send mail to people. Now I can't do that but I can receive mail. I have checked my port settings and even contact my ISP to see if they block the ports that .Mac mail uses. Can someone please read over my settings and see if there is a problem on my end or somewhere else? Thanks....

E-mail: my .mac address
Incoming Mail Server: mail.mac.com
User Name: my .mac address without @mac.com
Port: 993 with use SSL checked
Authentication: Password

Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.mac.com
Port: 587 with use SSL checked
Authentication: Password
Username & Password: my .mac info

I'm not sure what else to do at the moment. I have tried using outbound port 25 but that doesn't work at all. Thank you for any help... 🙂

-Thasro

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.2), Running Boot Camp with Vista Ultimate and Office 2007

Posted on May 13, 2008 2:06 PM

34 replies

May 14, 2008 4:04 PM in response to thasro

I had a similar problem. Everything was fine and then my computer (MacBook Pro) crashed. When I got it restarted and opened Mail only one of my IMAP accounts (.mac) was still there. I re-added my two other mail accounts, but it is still screwed up. It won't send mail from any account. One of the accounts looks like it is offline, but I can get to it from another computer so the server seems to be okay.

May 14, 2008 4:45 PM in response to m.bode

Well that's the problem, I don't get any error messages. My mail seems to go through but it doesn't get sent. I have tried to send myself mail to my government and university e-mail accounts but nothing comes through. I have tried disabling SSL but it doesn't work. These ports are not being blocked by my ISP so I don't know what could be the problem.

May 14, 2008 10:06 PM in response to thasro

This has been a widespread problem with both earlier OS's and Leopard, starting a few weeks back. I am experiencing it also, but not when I dual boot into Vista on the same machine and run mail using Outlook. So this almost assuredly is Mac OS related. When I can't SEND via either Apple Mail OR Entourage and it gives me an error, "Mail Can't verify the identity of "smtp.gmail.com" and it says the certificate is invalid. Now, I have everything setup right. I have worked in the computer field since the days of the first Apple II. I know how to setup email to work. And It worked a few weeks ago, as it did for most everyone worldwide posting to this issue. My VISTA dual boot partition works FINE with Gmail. All my Vista and XP machines in my small universe still work fine. The Mac OS now does not. AND I can use the Mac to log into Gmail with my browser and can send and recieve mail just fine.

I believe it was a bug with the last OS upgrade from Apple, given the fact that the same hardware running a different OS gives a different and correct result. We need a way to rollback these OS installs without reformatting and reloading the os. Windows allows that. Why doesn't the Mac? Am I missing something?

Anyway, the APple community needs a fix for this send mail problem. Obviously, not Everyone has this problem, but there are a lot of posts on this lately. Way too many to be random.

Apple? You listening? What is the story here?

May 15, 2008 4:25 AM in response to alb@pt

I was unaware that this was a widespread problem. I have been using Leopard for about the past 5 or 6 months and have not had any e-mail problems since then until recently. If all my settings are correct, then what's the problem? I have tried using the webmail version of my .Mac e-mail and I can't even send anything through that. I refuse to run Windows or any Microsoft software unless I absolutely have to. I paid the subscription fee for .Mac last year and now I'm thinking I may have made a mistake if my e-mail account doesn't work right. Something needs to be done.

May 15, 2008 9:38 AM in response to thasro

Let me add my name to list of people having problems. It came completely out of the blue, and I cannot figure out what is going on. On three different computers we are unable to send mail in our household. Receiving mail is not a problem. Last night I experimented by checking the SSL box. For a time I was able to send mail again. Today it's not happening. We use Comcast. Could the issue be with Comcast? If someone has a clue what is going on, please raise your hand.

May 15, 2008 10:12 AM in response to Rob Snow

Nt such a huge stab in the dark as a stab in our back. For those of us dependent on .mac to run their business as I am its a huge frustration. Like all of you, I can receive but can only send sporadically if at all. Most times my messages sit in my Entourage outbox for several hours until they mysteriously find a way out. For what it is worth, the Entourage error codes are 3253 and 3260.

When you check the system status at .mac they tell you everything is currently fine but "100% of .mac users were unable to send mail" for very limited times of 30 minutes or so 2 times in the last few hours. What BS, more like 30 minutes being able to send messages in the last 12 hours. C'mon .mac tech guys, hop to it and either fix the problem or tell us the truth so we can find another way to keep our e-mail life blood going.

Aug 9, 2008 6:46 AM in response to Rob Snow

OMG... I am having THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM. Just started yesterday (May 14, 2008).

I can receive email but I can't send any email on my .Mac acct on my Macbook.

It works fine on .Mac Webmail, but I get "can't connect to SMTP server."

I called Apple's 1800 and they "emailed me an article" which absolutely provided no support.

This is absolute nonsense.

<Edited by Moderator>

Mail - Send & Receive Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.