Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto '08 won't import RAWs from Canon EOS 450D

I did install the "Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 2.1", but even so, I am not able to import RAW images from my Canon EOS 450D, only jpgs. The error message I get is:

"The following files could not be imported (they may be an unrecognized file type or the files may not contain valid data)."

How do I solve this? The camera is brand new. Is a firmware reflash in order? How?
Anyone else experience this?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.3)

Posted on Jun 14, 2008 7:27 AM

36 replies

Jun 14, 2008 7:55 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks for your suggestion.
Just followed your advice, but the problem remains.
Tried importing a RAW image, but got this message:

"Unreadable Files: 1
The following file could not be imported. (The import failed.)
/private/var/folders/Q3/Q3OeovcvGH8afPnVtjHAwk +TI/-Tmp-/iPhoto/IMG_0030.CR2"

The strange thing is, when first opening iPhoto, the RAW images and jpgs both show up under "DEVICES->Canon EOS 450D". It is only when I actually try to import the RAW image that I get this error message.

Btw.: is it nescessary to restart my Mac when the iPhoto update is applied?

Jun 14, 2008 11:09 AM in response to Spurv

Try using Image Capture to upload the files to the desktop and then import from there.

User uploaded file

TIP: For insurance against the iPhoto database corruption that many users have experienced I recommend making a backup copy of the Library6.iPhoto (iPhoto.Library for iPhoto 5 and earlier) database file and keep it current. If problems crop up where iPhoto suddenly can't see any photos or thinks there are no photos in the library, replacing the working Library6.iPhoto file with the backup will often get the library back. By keeping it current I mean backup after each import and/or any serious editing or work on books, slideshows, calendars, cards, etc. That insures that if a problem pops up and you do need to replace the database file, you'll retain all those efforts. It doesn't take long to make the backup and it's good insurance.
I've created an Automator workflow application (requires Tiger or later), iPhoto dB File Backup, that will copy the selected Library6.iPhoto file from your iPhoto Library folder to the Pictures folder, replacing any previous version of it. It's compatible with iPhoto 6 and 7 libraries and Tiger and Leopard. iPhoto does not have to be closed to run the application, just idle. You can download it at Toad's Cellar. Be sure to read the Read Me pdf file.
≤br>
Note: There now an Automator backup application for iPhoto 5 that will work with Tiger or Leopard.

Jun 14, 2008 11:23 AM in response to Old Toad

Doesn't help, I'm afraid.
See, the problem isn't transferring the RAW images to my Mac. I can do this in several ways. The problem really is, neither iPhoto or Aperture seems to understand the RAW images (.CR2), and thus doesn't know how to handle them. Actually, Aperture seems to import them, but as soon as I want to look at one, it says "unsupported image format".

Jun 14, 2008 11:44 AM in response to Spurv

Hi all,

Not to muddy the discussion but I'm having the same problem. I have a brand spanking new MBP. One of the first things it did was to download the latest update and also the RAW Compatibility Update. The files are fine because I can copy them to the finder with no problem. Also, Canon's Digital Photo Professional sees them just fine. The more I dig into DPP the more impressed I am. But I've been iLife user from the beginning and want to use iPhoto for all things photo related.

What ***** is that I didn't pay enough attention the first time I imported some files from my Canon Rebel XT and it popped up the message about not recognizing the .cr2 files but I let iPhoto go ahead and delete the pictures after importing. 500 MB RAW lost. I've since learned to not let iPhoto delete my files.

I searched the net and even followed the suggestion of reformatting my Compact Flash cards. But that didn't help. Like I said, DPP reads the files fine. iPhoto nor Preview will read them at all. Only the JPEG version.

Thanks.

Jun 14, 2008 11:59 AM in response to Jeff Hester

Ok, this is interesting!
If I import the RAW images using EOS utility (Canons own import software), and save them to the desktop, iPhoto and Aperture are able to import them from this location!
Currently, this is the only way I can get iPhoto, Aperture (and even Photoshop) to import them and properly display them.
As mentioned before, if I use Apples own software (Image capture, iPhoto or Aperture) to do the importing, it fails.

Jun 18, 2008 10:31 AM in response to Spurv

So.... it sounds like this still hasn't been resolved?? The only thing I see recommended in loading the pictures directly from the camera and not via a card reader. I see no reason why iPhoto shouldn't load the same RAW file that Canon's DPP does.

Hopefully, we'll hear something soon. I guess I can always return the new Mac Book Pro since this doesn't work.

Thanks.

Jun 19, 2008 12:30 AM in response to Jeff Hester

What strikes me is that you have about the same setup as me: A MBP and a Canon EOS. Did you try importing the photos to the desktop via Canon's software, and then import it into iPhoto? This worked for me.
I get this feeling that this problem is widespread, and hope to see Apple address it real soon.
It's a real pain that I have to do this extra step just to get my photos into iPhoto/Aperture. :/

iPhoto '08 won't import RAWs from Canon EOS 450D

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.